Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi says connected but wont load anything saying no connection

I just got a brand new roku for Christmas we set it up it connected to the wifi immediately saying the connection was strong. (everything else in the house connected to it as well)

It took 6 hours to do the "update" before I could even finish setting up the roku bc it kept saying network error. It wouldn't let me download any channels saying network error after loading for 20+ minutes. Saying "couldn't load network error check connection" just to be shown that I am completely connected to the internet. 

I have reset my router at home and even tried moving the roku closer to the router and no difference at all. It was a Christmas gift so I can't even really return it but I'm over it. I've tried all the suggested things in the "help" section and nothing helps I honestly don't know what else I can do. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wifi says connected but wont load anything saying no connection

@Brittney342-

I don't know if this will help, because the problem I'm about to describe normally results in no connection at all, not an extremely slow one, but ...

Your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router that changed the router's connection parameters from b/g/n to g/n. This has been reported lately with equipment from Comcast/Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.

Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect. The router configuration needs to be switched from g/n wifi protocols back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Step-by-step post from @AvsGunnar for Comcast/Xfinity users:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Brittney342

Thanks for the post.

In addition to what @makaiguy mentioned, can you provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What specific Roku model device are you using? What wireless frequency is your wireless network?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CyberMom

Hi
I was watching a show and then all of a sudden I got disconnected and my Roku keeps saying that my wifi signal strength is too weak.  I know that the signal strength is fine because both my smart TV and Roku are on the same wifi network and the TV shows the signal strength as strong, but the Roku shows the strength as weak and they are literally next to each other.

So I tried to move things around which didn't help at all.  I even brought my Wifi router into the living room and set it up about 6 feet from my Roku and it still shows a weak signal.

Any suggestions?
I have a 3900x-Roku Express,. software version 10.5.0 - build 4208-51

0 Kudos