Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fp5849
Channel Surfer

Why is my Roku 3801 showing up as an open (no password needed) Wi-Fi network on my computer?

I have two Roku 3801s in use.

Only one of them is showing up as an available Wi-Fi network on my computer.

The list of Wi-Fi networks displays the name (Green Room) I am using for this 3801 and the name is removed when I turn this 3801 off.

I can "join" the Green Room Wi-Fi if I select it.

Does this give anyone who "joins" this network access to all of my Wi-Fi network?

I have compared the settings of the two 3801s I am using and can not find any differences between the two.

Roku 3801 Shown as Wi-FiRoku 3801 Shown as Wi-Fi

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why is my Roku 3801 showing up as an open (no password needed) Wi-Fi network on my computer?

Are you certain about the model number? I can't find a 3801. There's a 4801, a 3800 and a 3810. If yours is one of those two, or even some other model, you likely have a WiFi Direct remote. This is used for communications between the Remote and the Roku. No, nothing connecting to it can access anything on your device or network. Those remote networks are usually hidden, so you have it enabled to show them. Anyway, it has no access to your network, so it's not really an open network with access to anything.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
fp5849
Channel Surfer

Re: Why is my Roku 3801 showing up as an open (no password needed) Wi-Fi network on my computer?

Thank you for your information.

You are correct, it is a 3810.

And there is a difference in the Model #s of the two Remotes.

The Remote used for the "Green Room" 3810 is RC-EL3.  This is the 3810 showing up as a Wi-Fi network.

The other 3810's Remote is RC-EL1. This one is not showing up.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why is my Roku 3810 showing up as an open (no password needed) Wi-Fi network on my computer?

I believe @Tivoburkee is the resident remote expert, so I'll let him chime in here. But to my understanding both remotes are WiFi Direct (not IR), so in theory should both be visible as a hidden network. Although I'll say that sitting in my chair here in the family room I can only see two "hidden networks" on my laptop, while I know there's at least 5 different WiFi Roku remotes that should be within range. So I can't explain why some are appearing in the WiFi lost, and others don't. 

I just looked at my Nvidia Shield, which is sitting about a foot away from my Roku 4800. The remote WiFi isn't appearing in that list, so it must be coded to not show hidden networks. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
fp5849
Channel Surfer

Re: Why is my Roku 3810 showing up as an open (no password needed) Wi-Fi network on my computer?

Thank you for your time and information.

Sorry, but I have really confused my Roku models.

First I confused my 3810 Roku(s) for 3801 Roku(s) (don't exist).

These 3810(s) use RC-EL1 Remotes.

Now I realize I confused my 3810 Roku(s) with my 4800 Roku(s).

The 4800 Roku(s) are using RC-EL3 Remotes.

So, the situation is that one of my 4800 Roku(s), with a RC-EL3 Remote, is the one showing up as a Wi-Fi network.

Your explanation matches my situation. Some showing up, some not showing up was Wi-Fi networks.

As long as there is not a security risk with the "displayed open network", then there really isn't an issue.

But I'm still curious why two of the same model Remote (RC-EL3) are responding differently.

Thanks again for your time.

0 Kudos