Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the effects of switching Internet providers on Roku?

Jump to solution

Because I'm new here, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I would appreciate your advice and/or moving it if it isn't.

It has recently been announced that AT&T has high-speed fiber available in our neighborhood, so we plan to switch our Internet service from Comcast to AT&T.

Do I need to do anything to ensure our Roku service remains unaffected (other than enjoying a much faster download speed)?

I assume the Roku box gets its data from our Wi-Fi, so will we need to reset it so it can access it?

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions you may have.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: What are the effects of switching Internet providers on Roku?

Jump to solution

@olivertwist0404

Thanks for the inquiry.

There should be no difference from which whom you receive your internet service from in regards to streaming on your Roku device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@olivertwist0404

Thanks for the inquiry.

There should be no difference from which whom you receive your internet service from in regards to streaming on your Roku device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@olivertwist0404 If you have your own router and don't change the name of your network or the password you will not have to do anything.  If you are using a router provided and the name of the network and password are new you will have to go into settings and connect to the new network on each Roku device.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Do you have TV service from Comcast? If so, and you use some of the TV Everywhere apps (usually channel name with "Go" in it), then they will not work if you cancel that TV service.

If you didn't have TV, then just changing WiFi would be the main issue. Some services use your IP address to roughly geolocate you and could affect things such as proper local ads and "live" TV access if AT&T doesn't properly notify the various geolocation services of IP address locations.

0 Kudos