Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgf

What USB ethernet adapter for Roku Express 3960?

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express, which according to Settings->System->About is model 3960X.

I need to connect it to ethernet, because the WiFi connection where it is located is flakey.

This official support article recommends 5 different ethernet adapters at Amazon:  https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813

I've visited every one of those Amazon pages, and every one of them says "Not compatible with Roku Express".  This is disappointing, to say the least.

Can anyone recommend an ethernet adapter that *will* work with my Roku Express?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: What USB ethernet adapter for Roku Express 3960?

Jump to solution

Hi @pgf,

Thanks for your first post to the Roku Community!

We understand you are inquiring about an Ethernet adapter compatible with your Roku Express. You can visit our Roku support article, which provides information about compatible Roku devices and Ethernet adapters and explains how you can connect your devices to your wired network.

Please note: To maximize compatibility, verify that your Ethernet adapter specs indicate 10/100 (not 10/100/1000) and have an AX8877X or SMSC95XX chipset. Some users have gotten 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapters to work.

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but reply to this message if you have other questions and concerns, and we will gladly follow up.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
pgf

Jump to solution

Having now read the reviews for all of the Roku-recommended ethernet adapters:

- It seems for the most part that if someone says they have an Express 4K, then they also say the adapter works.

- If someone says it doesn't work with their Roku, then they don't mention which model they have.

- So I'm going to assume that none of these adapters work with the non-4K Roku Express.

- Many people complained that they had been directed to their adapter by Roku's web page, and were justifiably angry for having just bought a product that doesn't work.

- Shame on you, Roku, for a) recommending a product that doesn't work, and b) leaving the recommendation page up for years, knowing that the products don't work.   It's mean, and dishonest.

- Finally -- why doesn't Roku just sell their own adapter?!?!?  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The very first link to the UGREEN device states it doesn't work with any Roku device, but if you look at the answered questions multiple people say it worked with their Express device, but they never give the model number (which is far more important then the model name).  I would believe Roku's page over Amazon's in this case.  It's quite possible that the specifications on Amazon's site were written before any Roku devices supported an Ethernet adapter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @pgf,

Thanks for your first post to the Roku Community!

We understand you are inquiring about an Ethernet adapter compatible with your Roku Express. You can visit our Roku support article, which provides information about compatible Roku devices and Ethernet adapters and explains how you can connect your devices to your wired network.

Please note: To maximize compatibility, verify that your Ethernet adapter specs indicate 10/100 (not 10/100/1000) and have an AX8877X or SMSC95XX chipset. Some users have gotten 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapters to work.

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but reply to this message if you have other questions and concerns, and we will gladly follow up.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pgf

Jump to solution

Thank you, renojim -- it's true, I read no further than the description.  I'll read the comments, and see.

0 Kudos
pgf

Jump to solution

Having now read the reviews for all of the Roku-recommended ethernet adapters:

- It seems for the most part that if someone says they have an Express 4K, then they also say the adapter works.

- If someone says it doesn't work with their Roku, then they don't mention which model they have.

- So I'm going to assume that none of these adapters work with the non-4K Roku Express.

- Many people complained that they had been directed to their adapter by Roku's web page, and were justifiably angry for having just bought a product that doesn't work.

- Shame on you, Roku, for a) recommending a product that doesn't work, and b) leaving the recommendation page up for years, knowing that the products don't work.   It's mean, and dishonest.

- Finally -- why doesn't Roku just sell their own adapter?!?!?  

0 Kudos