We recently moved and we cant get into the roku settings to change the internet. Original remote we have but it never worked well since the beginning. We have the roku apps on our phones. How can we go play in the settings to make all the necessary changes to be able to connect??
The Roku app on a phone can only be used with Rokus that are already connected to your home network.
Normally a remote compatible with your Roku model is necessary to set up the Roku's net connection. Report back with your Roku model (and model number if you have it) and we can advise you on which remote you need.
A way to connect to the net without a remote has been reported but I have no experience with it. On the surface it sounds like it should work. You will need all of these:
-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, this process won't work and you'll have to use a remote to set the Roku network connection up.
-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password from your former network that the Roku is currently configured to use.
-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.
-- A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed.
If you have all these things, here's how you do it:
1) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. When you turn on this hotspot, your Roku should be able to connect to it and through the phone to the internet. You just won't be able to control it yet.
2) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.
3) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.
4) Using the app on the second device, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network.
5) When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second device from the WiFi hotspot and connect to the new home network (SSID and password).
6) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.
7) The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.
If you decide to try this, please report back how it worked.
Roku Community Streaming Expert I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well. If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".
Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X