Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeeN
Reel Rookie

Want wired connection but offers only wireless option on setup

Just getting started with Roku, unable to connect to wireless on initial attempt.   Okay, so I was good with the wired option and replaced Roku sticks (beyond the return date) with Roku Express 4K+ to allow an Ethernet adapter (yet another purchase, along with Ethernet cords).   It worked great for the main TV, which is in the same room as the router/wifi, connected with a 14 foot Ethernet cord. 

The problem came in when I tried to set up a second TV in another room (with a 30 foot CAT-8 Ethernet cord).  After choosing language, it immediately started checking for a wireless connection and never gave the option of using a wired connection.   (If I can get past this connectivity issue, I want to link the 2nd TV/Roku player to my one and only account, and NOT create a second account and not have a mirrored screen.)   

I still hold out hope that there is a simple explanation and relatively easy fix, but after hours and hours of plowing through so far not too helpful reply posts, instructions, faqs, googling, Youtube videos, etc etc etc, and no actual tech person to talk to, my hopes are fading.   I've seen some with similar problems with occasionally successful fixes, tho the majority of posters seem equally frustrated when nothing suggested has worked.

Here is what I have tried without success: Rebooting the router, resetting the Roku, another new and different Ethernet cable (50 foot CAT-6), switching to known good Ethernet ports on the router, switching the adapters, etc etc etc.  Nothing has worked.  Both adapters and all cords worked fine on the main TV.   I tried swapping the 2nd TV Roku player to see if it would work on the main TV (failed), but suspect that can't be done because the TV location with associated players are listed by serial number on the account (?).  

My final try later today will be a new Roku Express 4K+ player, but I really have my doubts.   If anyone has any other suggestions, especially those with successful personal experience, I would be most grateful for any help, and I thank you for your time in any case.  

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Want wired connection but offers only wireless option on setup

@SeeN wrote:

I tried swapping the 2nd TV Roku player to see if it would work on the main TV (failed), but suspect that can't be done because the TV location with associated players are listed by serial number on the account (?).   

I'll start here ^ - you can freely move a device from one TV to another; there's no association between a device and its TV.  Roku doesn't keep track of your TVs.  You may have to change settings if you move a device from a 1080p TV to a 720p TV or a TV with different audio capabilities, but that's it.

Let's start with your Wi-Fi connection issue.  Do you get any error messages?  Are you trying to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz?  What channel?  Have you tried connecting to your phone's hotspot, if possible?

I haven't tried one of the wired adapters, but you may have to get through the initial setup before it will work.  It's not clear if you've done that. 

Finally, wouldn't it have just been easier to get a model with a built-in Ethernet connection like one of the Ultras?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
demsd
Roku Guru

If the device has an Ethernet connection, you can set it up under Settings>Network>Set up a connection.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
SeeN
Reel Rookie

Update:  I got a new Roku Express 4K+ for the second TV.  It was the only thing I had not tried.  And thank goodness, that solved the problem.  Apparently the other Roku Express 4K+ was defective.  So I was able to set up the wired option and continue with the rest of the setup, successfully, hallelujah!

So the takeaway for me from reading other posts on other topics was to eliminate other components methodically, swapping out questionable components with components known to be good, one at a time.  

Thank you, renojim, for responding.  When you said that the Roku devices could be swapped out normally without problem, that gave me some hope that a new one might be (AND WAS!!!) a solution.

As for wireless versus wired, when wireless didn't work with the first one, I looked at the advantages of wired as a more reliable connection and actually prefer it.   I'm not sure why the wireless didn't connect, but it's academic at this point.  (Router has 2.5 and 5 GHz. - no error message, just "failed to find wifi connection" or similar - wouldn't want to use phone as a hotspot as I pay by the gig.)

As for Ultra with its built-in Ethernet vs Express 4K+ with separate Ethernet adapter, the Express and adapter were $25 less than the Ultra (x2 = $50 saved).   And CNET rated the Express 4K+ as the best wired connector currently over the Ultra.  

SeeN
Reel Rookie

Thank you, demsd, for your response.

Please see my update response above where buying a new Roku Express 4K+ turned out to be the solution for me for what turned out to be an apparently defective Roku Express 4K+ player.  The new one did allow me to make the choice of wired or wireless and then proceed all the way through the rest of the setup successfully.  What an ordeal but what a relief!   Thanks again.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@SeeN 

Thanks for posting the update.  Always appreciate seeing what the resolution to an issue was.

What USB ethernet adapter are you using that you found worked with your Express 4k+?

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
SeeN
Reel Rookie

Hi AvsGunnar, the adapter is made by "SMAYS" and I got it thru Amazon.   It doesn't have a name so much as a description:  "Ethernet adapter replacement for Roku Express 4K+ 2021 streaming stick with powered USB OTG hub to add external storage and wired Internet."  Try saying that 3 times fast : )

I noticed on Roku's website that they list a number of reportedly compatible Ethernet adapters, but when I clicked the links, most, if not all, specifically said in their description that they were NOT compatible with the Roku Express 4K+, amazingly enough.  Perhaps they were at one time?   So I learned to double check the description on Amazon for compatibility.  Very grateful that this worked and good price.

Thanks for your comment

AvsGunnar

@SeeN 

With that particular adapter, you should be able to place a USB thumb drive in one of the ports and be able to access media from it. (video, audio, and images) as long as in compatible formats for the Roku. (Using the Roku Media Player).

(How to use Roku Media Player... - https://support.roku.com/article/208754908)

Because of the new hardware features of the Express 4k/4k+, can basically make your own slightly cheaper Roku Ultra with this setup. (at least pretty close).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

zibah

It doesn't offer a wired option

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @zibah

Welcome to Roku Community.

We understand your issue regarding the lack of a wired connection option during setup. In order to better assist you, we would like to gather some additional information. Could you please provide us with the model number of your Roku device and the version of the software that you are using? Would you mind giving us more details regarding your concern? 

Please let us know any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos