Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Re: Upgraded to Wifi 6 router and Roku will NOT connect to the internet. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING....

Jump to solution

Oh, sorry. Yes, in between channels 1, 6, and 11, I did a network connection reset. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Upgraded to Wifi 6 router and Roku will NOT connect to the internet. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING....

Jump to solution

1) Make sure your router has the latest firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.386.44130 released 2021/06/28).

2) Try changing your WiFi password to 8 characters using only letters and numbers (temporarily).

3) There could be/likely are other advanced WiFi settings for your router to tinker with, you'll have to decide if its worth it.

4) Unfortunately your only remaining Roku-based option is a Factory Reset:

Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory Reset

5) You should also know that there have been many issues with WiFi suddenly failing for (mostly) 3920 models over the last month or three - if you are within your 1-year warranty period you should pursue it.

0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you StreamerUser for your help. I really appreciate your time to assist me and troubleshoot.  I have contacted Asus for assistance. I will try all the recommendations that you have provided 

Ill leave a reply with the answer when I figure out the issue. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Chingaderas 

As I understand it, you currently can connect your 3920 Premiere to your network, but having trouble accessing the internet now?

Try running the network connection check. (Settings..Network..Check Connection).  Report what is being shown as available networks, wireless connections..internet connection.  Getting green checkmarks, red x's, or any error codes?

If available in the router GUI (currently not at my reg. computer to check), some Asus GUI in the 2.4ghz settings has an option or setting called "Roaming Assistant" that force drops connections when the specified signal strength is lower than a specified RSSI.  I believe default is 70db.  Try disabling the roaming assistant if you have it currently enabled.

Edit.. see you contacted Asus.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

I'm able to see the Asus 2.4ghz network on my Roku device WITHOUT a little lock indicating there is no password for the network which is not true. There is a password. 

When I attempt to connect to the network I get a red X and a pop-up tells me to reset the router and restart Roku. 

I found the roaming assistant in Asus GUI. advanced settings > wireless > professional > roaming assistant.

I have disabled the roaming assistant and reset network connections on the Roku device and I'm getting the same issue.

"unable to connect to the wireless network"

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Chingaderas 

You have at least a recent firmware if you have that availability in your GUI. (that's good)

From Roku, Settings...Systems..About.. are you seeing both a wireless MAC address and an IP address. (take note of the IP address (192.168.1.xxx or similar).

Default Asus login for wifi6 and mesh routers is 192.168.50.1  (confirm if this is different for you)

Since the Spectrum routers also uses a default gateway 192.168.1.xxx, if you are seeing this at your Roku, rather than 192.168.50.xxx then the DHCP server of the router is not communicating with the Roku (or vice-versa) and your Roku is assigned to your old router. (Make sure your old router is unplugged and not broadcasting).

Since your other wireless devices are working with the router, I think I would factory reset the Premiere as suggested by @StreamerUser as an initial step.  You can certainly change the router gateway (from 192.168.50.xxx to 192.168.1.xxx) to troubleshoot but I think the factory restart is a good idea.

Settings..System..Advanced..Factory Reset

The only other thing I would verify before factory reset is your Wireless Security.  By default, the Asus should have WPA/WPA2 with AES encryption enabled.  Just verify that neither has TKIP set as an option.

Additionally, can only have one DHCP server operating per network.  If this new router is serving as both a router and modem, no problem.  If you have another router or modem before it in line, need to disable its DHCP server and let this new router handle the DHCP server assignment.

Post back if anything changes or as you complete the above.  More detail, the better.  I think because the Premiere worked with your previous router, just have a setting mismatch somewhere going on that either the Roku or the new router is having a problem resolving.

0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

1. Correct 192.168.50.1 is the login I'm using with the Asus router. 

2. My older router is unplugged and sitting in a box. 

3. Not sure where I see a gateway at my Roku.

4. I did the factory reset. After selecting language it goes to wireless connections in which the same problem happens that existed prior to the reset.  

5. I have the spectrum modem in front of the router. How do i disable the modems DHCP network? 

6. i see the option to disable DHCP on the Asus login but I'm unsure about disabling the DHCP on the modem.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Chingaderas

Since you simply swapped out routers, with modem first in line, you should be good. (Your other router probably handled DHCP, assuming here that your modem does not have a DHCP server).  Just verify you are plugged into WAN port of the new router. (ethernet from modem to router)

Also, give everything a restart again.  Restart the modem as well as the router. 

Verify that you can connect your other devices to the 2.4ghz band. (laptop and phone).  If so, and prompting for password and you are sure  that it is connected to the 2.4 ghz band and not your 5ghz band, then try the following...

Disable the 5ghz radio from within router settings.  Then restart both modem and router again.  Try to connect the Roku.  If you get to the Network Screen, may have to press Scan Again a few times to refresh network connections.

Otherwise, do you have a mobile hotpot you can use (set to 2.4 ghz) to get through setup?

One more suggestion before I do some digging into potential setting conflicts...

Go back to the GUI Professional settings in your router and disable "Airtime Fairness" for the 2.4 ghz band only.  This is an Asus troubleshooting step for problem connections.  Definitely recommend giving a shot.

Wireless...Professional...Airtime Fairness...Disable 2.4ghz

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031479211-ASUS-Routers-and-Airtime-Fairness

0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

I'm having my wife use her mobile hotspot to set up Roku.

-Interestingly I tried selecting "hide SSID" on the Asus wireless settings and could still see the 2.4GHz band showing up in available connections which makes no sense whatsoever. 

I am able to connect with a password to my 2.4 GHz band with my iPhone and all other devices. 

How do I turn off the 5ghz band in the wireless settings? I don't see an option for this. 

ill restart everything right now. 

0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Airtime fairness has been disabled ever seen I plugged in the router. I believe it came standard this way. At least for me. 

0 Kudos