Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradfordwright9
Reel Rookie

Unable to connect with Hotel/Dorm contact

I am temporarily living in a motel and have been trying to get my Roku Express connected to the WiFi. The problem is DIRECT-roku-SOS-xxxxxx doesn't come up on the list of networks that my phone finds.

I have tried rebooting both myrRoku and my phone, and.i even master reset the Roku

I appreciate any suggestions

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Unable to connect with Hotel/Dorm contact

Hello @bradfordwright9

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Have you tried connecting your device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if it will connect?

Have you tried taking a look here in our Support resources and following the steps to help get connected? How to use Hotel and Dorm Connect to connect to the internet

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
bradfordwright9
Reel Rookie

How long have you been working for TCL not to know what I'm talking about?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@bradfordwright9 the person asking you a question does not work for TCL, they work for Roku. And they asked you a couple of basic questions that need to be answered to provide you with the best support. 

It's necessary to know the model number of your Roku. Just saying Express isn't specific enough because there are nine different models of Roku players with Express in their name. And asking if you're tried using a phone hotspot is valuable to ensure that the WiFi in the Roku is working properly. 

Connecting to hotel networks can be a bit trying at times. But you are correct that the first step is finding your Roku direct WiFi connection with your phone. I will say that I have better luck getting the hotel setting to work when using an iPad or laptop, rather than a phone. Sometimes the Roku doesn't appear in my WiFi list as well, but it usually appears after a short wait and refresh of the available WiFi access points. Sometimes I need to turn the WiFi off on the phone, then turn it back on to see the Roku. I don't think that is a specific Roku issue, more it being the phone simply not refreshing with every available access point. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jayob

I have the same problem it doesn’t have the hotel/dorm option.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Jayob wrote:

I have the same problem it doesn’t have the hotel/dorm option.

Every Roku player has the hotel/dorm option. What they don't have is a way to trigger it manually. So if the hotel network makes the Roku think it has a direct Internet connection (it might if it allows some level of access for some processes), then the option will not trigger. It would help if Roku added a manual method of making the hotel connection, but so far they have not done so. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos