Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Walkeram47
Reel Rookie

Unable to connect to internet in one room only

The Roku will not connect in bedroom only but is connected in living. Have done all restarts, already spoke to internet provider and connection is fine, and even bought a new Roku device. Still won’t connect. Model# 393OX. I have the serial number also.

what do I do? 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to connect to internet in one room only

@Walkeram47 

If you mean that you only have the one Roku device (3930) and the location of the device is determining whether it will connect or not, then you may need either an extender or additional AP(access point) in order to boost your wireless signal to the non-working location.

You can also try making some changes to the 2.4 ghz wireless settings in your router to see if interference or channel congestion is contributing to your issue.  Login to your router and see if making your settings similar to these helps your issue.

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

Feel free to post back with update or if you need more help.  Include router model number and ISP (internet service provider).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Walkeram47
Reel Rookie

No we have multiple Roku devices, only the one in the bedroom will not connect. The other devices are connected. I have tried all restart options. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Walkeram47 

What are the Roku model numbers of all devices? (Settings/System/About)

0 Kudos
Walkeram47
Reel Rookie

Model# 393OX For both

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Walkeram47 

Could be a couple of different issues then if both are the same device (3930) and only one is having an issue. 

The first thing to do is eliminate a known issue with some cable ISP routers and 2.4ghz devices like your Express.  Access/login to your router and change/Edit the "Wireless Mode" to reflect b/g/n rather than g/n if that is the current setting. (This is affecting Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, and some AT&T routers).

Instructions for the various routers and accessing these settings...

Xfinity / Comcast → ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi ) with a walkthrough ( https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...)

Cox → (https://www.cox.com/residential/support/managing-your-in-home-network-with-my-wifi.html)

AT&T → (https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1046172). You can select your appropriate router from the drop down menu.

-----

If the above is not applicable to you, then you can try testing the suspect 3930 connection ability by either moving the device to the known working location of your other device and see if able to connect, or try connecting the suspect 3930 to a mobile hotspot (if available to you) on the 2.4ghz band.

If able to connect to the hotspot, then likely culprit is a network setting.

Feel free to post an update or if you need more help.