Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisdavey1
Reel Rookie

Trouble with my wifi connection

Hi everyone I bought the roku express 4k. It won't connect to my wifi. I type password that we use for every thing in our house but it don't work. If I use my Hotspot it works fine so it has to be a router issue. Do I have to buy a new router? Beyond frustrated right now 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
VaderMom71

Re: Trouble with my wifi connection

I have problems with my Roku express as well.  Sometimes if I reboot it, it will start working ok.  However a little while ago I did that and now it is not even finding my network.  I have and Xbox and a fire stick connected to the same tv and they are connected and work fine.  I also have a tv that is a Roku tv and that has no problems with connections.  It just seems to be the the plug in express that seems to have connection problems.  If everything else in your house connects and works with no problem it is probably not your router.  Although I myself have been thinking of getting a wifi signal extender to see if that helps. 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Make sure you are not trying to connect to a 5 GHz network.  Roku express does not support 5 GHz.

0 Kudos
chrisdavey1
Reel Rookie

Thank you so much for your reply. I called my cable company and they asked me to try connecting thru my mobile Hotspot and it worked so the technician told me that the router would be the problem. It's so frustrating. I also have a wifi extender and it doesn't seem to help. 

0 Kudos
chrisdavey1
Reel Rookie

Thank you for reply, so I don't have a 5ghz router it's a 2.4.  With my son doing university classes from home I bought a wifi booster so he has wifi upstairs . I thought that would help with roku but no luck. Sure is frustrating. 

0 Kudos
chrisdavey1
Reel Rookie

Yeah i have double checked this, my router does not have the option of 5ghz

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@chrisdavey1-

You say you have a Roku Express 4K.  This should connect to either 2.4 or 5 GHz wifi bands.  It's only the older non-4K models that are 2.4 GHz only.  But in the 2.4 GHz band there are a couple of other considerations.

(@VaderMom71 - If your Express is a non-4K model everything said previously, as well as this post, applies to you too.)

• Some routers have received updates that changed the router's wifi connection parameters from b/g/n to g/n (or you may have a new router with that setting), which affects some Roku models. This has been reported lately with equipment from Comcast/Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.  Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect. The fix is to switch the router configuration protocols from the g/n wifi that was set by the update back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Step-by-step post from @AvsGunnar for Comcast/Xfinity users: https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...

• Rokus support channels 1-11 in the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, as are used in North America. If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels outside this range make sure your router is set to use a channel in this range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside this range.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos