Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgg9
Streaming Star

To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

We're all having the same problem. 

Here's where I think we all stand. Roku had done a standard background software update, to a "93" version, but that version somehow trashed the wifi detector, so now the all these units can't connect to the network. The usual industry approach is to have the previous stable software rev (92?) sitting already on the device, so the user could switch back to it. But in a lot of cases, like mine, this v92 is NOT on the device.

So now the device can't connect to the network AND can't be fixed because all fixes would come from that network. In short, this is a screw up called a "truck roll" where the only way out is to physically mail new devices to people. Except that requires diligent customer service, and here there's zero.

Class action ______ appears the only way to go.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts and concerns.

A couple of things to touch on here:

1) If you are having issues with connecting to your wireless network, we would strong recommend first taking a look at our Support page for troubleshooting steps here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

2) If you are having issues with a Roku Express or Roku Premiere device, have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. This is commonly overlooked and not checked.

3) If you are having issues connecting to your wireless network and are only able to connect to once the device is in the same room as your router, this would point to a router wireless strength issue.

If you are still experiencing issues connecting to your wireless network, please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- If you have a Roku Express/Premiere, have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If you have followed all of the above troubleshooting steps and are still experiencing your issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the Roku model number, and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts and concerns. As stated in my previous post:

1) If you are having issues with connecting to your wireless network, we would strong recommend first taking a look at our Support page for troubleshooting steps here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

2) If you are having issues with a Roku Express or Roku Premiere device, have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. This is commonly overlooked and not checked.

3) If you are having issues connecting to your wireless network and are only able to connect to once the device is in the same room as your router, this would point to a router wireless strength issue.

If you are still experiencing issues connecting to your wireless network, please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- If you have a Roku Express/Premiere, have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If you have followed all of the above troubleshooting steps and are still experiencing your issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the Roku model number, and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
270 REPLIES 270
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

That's fine, but it is not a universal problem affecting everyone that has received version 9.3. All three of the Rokus I have in service, all different models, continue to connect and function under 9.3. It dropped connection once, shortly after receiving it, but I could get my connection back, and I've had to do this with previous versions too.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
L1ghtbr1nger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

well I'm having the same bull**bleep** [post edited]

L1ghtbr1nger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm doing a system reset to connect to internet again and we'll see what happens

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I to have lost internet connection on BOTH my stick and my TV!!! I have tried EVERYTHING i can think of, restarting, factory reset, unplugging everything. Even moving the TV right next to the router and nothing seems to work. I to am very frustrated and their technical support is null!!!! you call the number and you get a voice recording saying that because of the situation they cannot help us!!! so where do we go from here?

L1ghtbr1nger
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So I did the system reset, didn't work for a few hours then my wifi popped up, worked for roughly 14 hours, and reverted back to the bull**bleep**

BK420
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm amazed by the stupidity & lack of customer support, for what is clearly an issue caused by the last update. Customer service is totally non existent, does anybody at Roku realize that these constant connectivity issues are going to be driving away customers in droves, but nobody has a fix. & nobody has even reached out to reply after hundreds of posts from users about the issue. Terrible product, terrible company.

BK420
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Chromecast/apple TV? No way am I buying another roku device after this experience.

Bobbyclivej
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I tried a hard reset and i had to put my box right next to the router to get one bar of wifi , was Workin fine until about 5 hours ago

C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@dgg9 wrote:

We're all having the same problem. 

Here's where I think we all stand. Roku had done a standard background software update, to a "93" version, but that version somehow trashed the wifi detector, so now the all these units can't connect to the network. The usual industry approach is to have the previous stable software rev (92?) sitting already on the device, so the user could switch back to it. But in a lot of cases, like mine, this v92 is NOT on the device.

So now the device can't connect to the network AND can't be fixed because all fixes would come from that network. In short, this is a screw up called a "truck roll" where the only way out is to physically mail new devices to people. Except that requires diligent customer service, and here there's zero.

Class action ______ appears the only way to go.

I have a Roku Express + 3900 series, and I had zero problems with my WiFi connection after I updated to 9.3. Maybe it's because there might be an issue with your networks? If you have Windows 10, you can go to the notification center and check your network settings. You can even go to your settings in Windows 10 and run the network troubleshooter. Make sure that your computer can connect to your network. 

0 Kudos