Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV wifi connection intermittent

I have had constant network connectivity issues with my TCL ROKU TV in the past month or so. It buffers every time we attempt to watch and loses connection daily. When we go through the steps to reconnect, it shows “Excellent” network signal. I have ~800 mbps internet through XFINITY and a mesh network setup. For reference, my upstairs TV is also a ROKU and does not have the same issues. 
We have tried doing the hard reset, factory reset, network reset, etc. (basically every reset I can find online). It seems to help for a couple hours, then right back to the same issues. The only advice I can find from ROKU is “reset your modem and router” but again, I know for a fact it is not an internet issue on my end.
What I need to know is: is there another way to troubleshoot the issue? Or do I need a new TV? We have had this one since November 2017. Thank you for reading this!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: TV wifi connection intermittent

If your TV has an Ethernet port try that. Also how far away is your Roku TV from your modem and a router? Mesh systems can cause issues. Even though the TV says it’s receiving an excellent signal that doesn’t mean anything. Have you tried both the 2.4 and 5.0GHz channels? Excellent simply means it can reach your modem it doesn’t mean what it actually downloading. To check the actual speed of your Roku TV go to Settings/ Network and run a check connection test. See what it gives you for a speed rating in Mbps. My TCL Roku TV gives me a speed of 220 Mbps on my 5.0 GHz 

if it turns out your Roku TV does have a bad Wi-Fi connection you don’t have to replace the TV you can just get a Roku stick and plug it into your TV

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @mullinsshane59

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Since your internet service provider is Comcast/Xfinity, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@RokuKariza-D  This is a Roku TV so it’s dual band. The problem you are referring to affects only people using the base model Roku Express which is a single band device. 

0 Kudos

Are you referring to changing the settings on the TV? Or the router itself?

0 Kudos

My primary router is only about 12 feet from my TV. I can run a speed test wirelessly in my living room and consistently get about 800mbps. Regardless, nothing has changed with my internet and I just started having these problems with the TV

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@mullinsshane59  Please run a check connection test on your Roku TV. You can find that by going to Settings/ Network and click on check connection. It will give you a speed test result on the tv itself. What your phone or laptop sees doesn’t matter. Try both the 2.4GHz WiFi and the 5.0GHz WiFi. You can also run an Ethernet cord to your tv. If the problem doesn’t happen when connected to an Ethernet port then the problem could be in your network or possibly the TV. You can also swap the tv into another location. But try the steps I laid out first. My bedroom TCL Roku TV is about 75’ from my modem. I have a 500 Mbps internet connection. My 32” Bedroom tv gets about 60-70 Mbps on the 5.0 GHz and never drops out. My 65” which is 3’ from my router gets around 200 Mbps but my laptop in the same location gets 500 Mbps. A Roku isn’t like a phone or laptop. It’s doesn’t handle high internet speeds 

0 Kudos
spikul
Channel Surfer

All I can tell you about this is that I went to a fully wired network, DOSIS 3.1 modem and all my problem are gone.  It was worth the time and money I spent to do it.  No interference from other electric equipment or florescent lights.

0 Kudos