Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick - not connected & can't link to Remoku

Jump to solution

@dawnzerlv 

That’s probably a model 3500 HDMI Streaming Stick. Roku doesn’t make the remote for that device any longer.

Apps, Roku or otherwise, can’t access the Roku device until the Roku is connected to your network. You must have a remote for that.

if you can find a second hand remote somewhere — and it must be specifically for the 3500 — that would be a way to connect it. 

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
dawnzerlv
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Okay, I looked again and found a Roku remote but even with brand new batteries, it doesnt seem to work. It makes a noise when I shake it. Perhaps it is broken. Otherwise I have no other remote for Roku

what do you suggest?

0 Kudos
dawnzerlv
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

After I re-read your post I have another question:

"

Apps, Roku or otherwise, can’t access the Roku device until the Roku is connected to your network. You must have a remote for that" I must have a remote for what? The Roku or?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@dawnzerlv 

The model 3500 HDMI Streaming Stick had a remote that only works with that device. And remotes for other Roku devices will not work with that one.

For example, the remote that came with the 3600, which replaced the 3500, will not work on a 3500. The current Voice Remotes will work on the every stick except the 3500 HDMI Streaming Stick, 3400 MHL Streaming Stick, or 3420 MHL Streaming Sticks. And the remotes for the MHL sticks only work on the MHL sticks.

Unless you get a remote specifically for the 3500, it won't work.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@dawnzerlv wrote:

...pps, Roku or otherwise, can’t access the Roku device until the Roku is connected to your network. You must have a remote for that" I must have a remote for what? ...

For connecting to the network. Now, if your remote is connected to the network, then the app should work ... I think. @Tivoburkee would be better qualified to answer that.

I haven't seen my 3500 in years. I haven't used it since 2016, and it's ... somewhere, maybe.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
dawnzerlv
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My network is Wifi and I do not have a remote for it. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@dawnzerlv 

What is you actual goal? To use that Roku device? Without a remote to connect it to a network, you won't be able to use it.

If using that Roku is simply a means to your actual goal, such as streaming content, you cannot do it with that Roku device (unless you find a remote that works with it; they don't make those any more). You would need a different device, whether Roku or another brand.

The model 3500 stick was released in March 2014. I would suggest something more recent.

DBDukes

0 Kudos