Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe on an unsecured wifi network?

Jump to solution

I came home turned on my TV and Roku. Opened up YouTube to hear some music.  Half hour later I realized someone else's account was signed in to on my Roku. Can someone get in without my password and info? I'm a nobody with computers but I'm thinking they would have to have that info,  be a really good hacker or in my house watching my TV right? I live alone.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Safe on an unsecured wifi network?

Jump to solution

A Roku can be controlled with the Roku app without any authentication. However, you have to be able to see the TV screen with the Roku display, as the app provides no visual feedback as to what is on the screen. So other than messing with someone's mind, there's little to be gained by taking control of someone's Roku. Without being able to see the screen, there's no way they could open a channel (such as YouTube) and enter the necessary credentials to log in. 

Did you buy your Roku from a local store? I'm wondering if someone had bought it, set it up, then returned it. But if they did that you wouldn't have seen the initial setup when you first booted it up. So unless it was already working when you first installed it, that isn't likely the issue.

If you go into the Settings/System/About screen, does it show the correct email address of your Roku account? That way you know it's linked to your account. If that's good, then open YouTube and go into its settings and log out of the channel. You should then be able to enter your own user credentials and the other person will be gone. 

You also mentioned an unsecure WiFi network. Exactly what do you mean by that? Unless you specifically set security to OFF on your wireless router, you have some sort of security in place. If you need a name and password to connect to your WiFi, it's not unsecured. Now, if you're concerned about someone having breached your WiFi, I suggest changing the password. That means you have to reconnect any wireless devices you have, but it would give you some piece of mind about someone accessing your network.  

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092

Jump to solution

A Roku can be controlled with the Roku app without any authentication. However, you have to be able to see the TV screen with the Roku display, as the app provides no visual feedback as to what is on the screen. So other than messing with someone's mind, there's little to be gained by taking control of someone's Roku. Without being able to see the screen, there's no way they could open a channel (such as YouTube) and enter the necessary credentials to log in. 

Did you buy your Roku from a local store? I'm wondering if someone had bought it, set it up, then returned it. But if they did that you wouldn't have seen the initial setup when you first booted it up. So unless it was already working when you first installed it, that isn't likely the issue.

If you go into the Settings/System/About screen, does it show the correct email address of your Roku account? That way you know it's linked to your account. If that's good, then open YouTube and go into its settings and log out of the channel. You should then be able to enter your own user credentials and the other person will be gone. 

You also mentioned an unsecure WiFi network. Exactly what do you mean by that? Unless you specifically set security to OFF on your wireless router, you have some sort of security in place. If you need a name and password to connect to your WiFi, it's not unsecured. Now, if you're concerned about someone having breached your WiFi, I suggest changing the password. That means you have to reconnect any wireless devices you have, but it would give you some piece of mind about someone accessing your network.  

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It does have my Roku and proper email.  I'm staying in a hotel and one of their wifi networks do not require a password, I didn't know the password to the other so I just jumped on the password-less one the day before, after purchasing it and getting home late,  intending to change it.  Not only was he logged in to my YouTube but he played music! He was Latino and there was Spanish music played in my history during the day.  I'm thinking this person gained access to my room.  Because my TV is not visable to the outside.  I've got his email address and I'll see what I can dig up on him on Been Verified,  Google and Facebook. Thanks for your help! If you have any other info I could use I would appreciate it!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Ok, on a public network like a hotel, they almost always have a security setting that blocks users from seeing other connected devices. It's highly unlikely someone used the app to control your Roku. So I think your idea of someone in your room is the likely reason. That means either the hotel has terrible security and someone random can enter a room, or it was a hotel employee that did it.

If YouTube was the only thing they used, there might not have been any bad intent by the person. But I would let the hotel know that someone was in your room and using your property without your consent. I would at least ask them to check the door lock for signs of tampering. 

Dan

0 Kudos