Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AloraO
Reel Rookie

Roku won't connect to wifi and wifi is on. I restarted router and Roku and disabled ping!

Jump to solution

Help my Roku won't connect. Restarted both and router and disabled pings .I have excellent wifi and I'm connected with other devices without issues.my Roku is not even 6 months old...please help.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku won't connect to wifi and wifi is on. I restarted router and Roku and disabled ping!

Jump to solution

Hey @AloraO @ECSIII

Thanks for the posts.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku won't connect to wifi and wifi is on. I restarted router and Roku and disabled ping!

Jump to solution

@AloraO

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?
- Who is your ISP (internet service provider)?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
TENIME
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku is only 4 feet away from my modem, every other device I own gets 116MBPS/DL from the other side of the apartment (my phone even connects three floors down & across the parking lot, and it's 5 years old), yet my Roku only gets 1MBPS/DL (not a typo), and the only solution the company has is "put it closer." "We'll give you a free cable to move it closer!"

Gonna try to resell this less than 2 year old device & go with Amazon Fire Stick instead.

Hope I can get the holder off the back of the TV without damaging either item (so I can resell the holder, too, since that was obviously a waste of money, if you're unable to have your Roku near your TV).

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @AloraO @ECSIII

Thanks for the posts.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
TENIME
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D 

I've done all that and more, and still can no longer stream YouTube in anything higher than 240p on my 4K TV, and Plex won't play at all without buffering literally every 2 seconds.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@TENIME

Thanks for reaching out.

In some cases, removing the affected channel then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
AloraO
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi so I bought my Roku Express like in October and now though I have excellent Wi-Fi strength and the router is right next to the Roku device it still will not connect and I don't understand why I disabled the ping I've also restarted it several times should I do a factory reset? Or is there anything else I can do .?

0 Kudos
AloraO
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

How would I configure my router? I do believe it runs on five but it was working for the past 3 months since I bought it why would it stop now out of nowhere doesn't make sense to me but thank you

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@AloraO

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?
- Who is your ISP (internet service provider)?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
AloraO
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I do have Xfinity for my internet service provider so I'm assuming I can run on 2.4 GHz and five I don't know I'm not good with all this tech stuff anyway but I also have only had this Roku Express since October it was working just fine and out of nowhere boom it stopped working so even if it didn't run because of the b, g, and thing why would it work in the first place? Also how would I change wireless channels? And also is that the same thing as editing my network from GN to b, g, n? Or do I have to change a wireless network too?. Also does this affect my internet or Wi-Fi anyway by changing this? Also my Roku is literally right next to my router / modem it's literally touching each other. Thank you

0 Kudos
Nmhay19

Jump to solution

I came here looking for help for my connection problem but after seeing all these comments and readin different articles I still don’t have a solution and it seems like you guys don’t either. I’ve done EVERYTHING y’all have recommended and it still doesn’t work and I can’t get a replacement. I’m going to need something to get done because this is ridiculous at this point