Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techpuppy
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku won't connect to Wifi it was connected to.

Hi everyone! This has been a very frustrating time with the Roku device. Thankfully I did hear from customer service. It was determined that there was a problem with the device itself and not my network or the Wi-Fi or the orientation of the magnetic north compared to where it was a few weeks ago. I am not saying that is the case for everyone. I am saying that if you have tried all of the resetting techniques then be sure to reach out to customer service. And be nice about it. I'm sure there are plenty of things they have to deal with.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@OddballExtreme 

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BarryW11
Channel Surfer

Hi Danny,

As previously mentioned, I have extensively tried all of yours and everyone else's suggestions here, and also tried it at a neighbours house without success. 

I am happy to send my Roku email address to you by email but I would rather not put it on an open forum. However, I have now replaced the faulty unit with a new working one purchased this week the faulty unit is no longer connect to my network. If you insist I will re-connect it to find the serial number. I am happy to send it to you if you should wish?

Barry

0 Kudos
Akglenn225
Streaming Star

“Orientation of the magnetic north” 🤣. I like that.

And you mean it wasn’t the router or the WiFi? 😲 Noooooo! That’s shockingly unbelievable!

...This is me unbelievably shocked. Thanks for the update that was obvious to only 99% of us. It’s good luck you got ahold of customer service. This experience for them should make it painfully obvious that they need to make themselves much much more accessible.

I still only get Danny’s standard comment with ways to troubleshoot and PM him if it doesn’t work. Still haven’t had any luck PMing him. I’ve moved on to different branded device, which is a shame for Roku cause I was looking for a new tv for my son’s room and wouldn’t even consider any of the Roku’s. 

Anywho, it’s been a pleasure @techpuppy and @techbasher 

boogernose
Roku Guru

For the record Without Ethernet I wouldnt be interested.

Never was. I've always used Ethernet with Roku. For like 10 years now.

Same with my compurers.

I plug it in and it works flawlessly. I've never experienced 90% of the

problems i read about.

You wont find the Thread; "My Ethernet doesnt work Roku sucks"

I dunno I've been in Tech for years it seems obvious to me wifi probably

is going to be problematic.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
reecbscot

All of a sudden my roku won't connect to my wifi after having no problems before. It recognizes my router and I've checked on password issues as well. I could use some help please 

0 Kudos
Destro

Confirmed. Switching from auto channel to channel 1 on router fixed problem. Chose that channel only because no other networks in the neighborhood were using it. Use netsh from cmd to see what channels are not being used. These rokus must be picking up a lot of interference. None of my other 13 devices have these problems. Only Roku...

Coolum1

Having the same issue across the board with not one, two, or three, but FOUR Roku units. NONE will connect. I've checked router; internet, power on all. They all see the router which is working perfectly and is allowing me to connect wireless with all other devices in the house, just not any Roku devices. I've rebooted; restarted; factory reset all of them. They still "see" the router and give me a "thumbs up" green check on wireless signal, then "X" ;on the connecting to internet. Talked very, and I mean VERY briefly with someone in CS, and they told me it's a problem with my ISP. BULL. All other internet related devices are working perfectly. Thinking a mass update went out from Roku that was botched. FOUR units to stop working simultaneously is a coincidence? I think not.

0 Kudos
pds3
Reel Rookie

I have two Roku boxes that are doing the same thing.  The one isn't even 6 months old.  No way to reconnect them.

0 Kudos
BarryW11
Channel Surfer

It certainly looks like a botched software upgrade.

My issue is different. The Roku cannot see any SSID on my or my neighbours network. Obviously the WiFi circuitry has failed. It has taken two weeks to get Danny to pass my problem onto Support, however three days later they have not responded with ant suggestions. Roku really need improve their support response, they must lose lots of unhappy customers.