Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjp123
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku won't connect to Wifi it was connected to.

Only a firmware update.  After that, all other connections worked except my 2 roku TV's.  Roku wanted me to ask my ISP to change the DNS settings, but they can't do that.  But I think I can do that to my router--just afraid to do it without checking with someone in the know.  

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

You can try 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 those are Googles.

There are others some prefer. Do a Search.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
techbasher
Binge Watcher

Sorry again @boogernose but the problem is the Roku Express 3900 device, following the latest Roku update, it won't connect to the access point that it has been happily connected to for months.

The Roku Express 3930 still happily sees the same access point following the latest Roku update.

It's not a DHCP lease issue (that's managed by a separate DHCP server machine, neither of the access points).

It's not a DNS issue, because the Roku Express 3900 works fine when connected to a different 2.4GHz access point in the same house.

It's not a signal issue.

I've got Linux servers, Linux workstations, Windows laptops, Android mobile devices, Apple mobile devices, Sony Playstation, Nintendo handhelds, all connected via a combination of wired ethernet, WiFi 2.4GHz and 5Ghz (no they're not blended, mesh or WiFi6) plus a 2.4GHz guest network running on a separate VLAN.

I'm not being stubborn, I'm not a flailing amateur, I've got 25 years of systems and networking experience and one Roku device no longer works with a rock solid setup.  You say it's the router?  The weight of evidence says it's the Roku.

MarCuc
Binge Watcher

changing the DNS does not sound very logical, unless you ave changed it before

0 Kudos
MarCuc
Binge Watcher

@techbasher try changing the wifi channels as I described, it helped for me. 

cjp123
Channel Surfer

That is what the Roku rep said to me on the phone last night when I was trying to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
techbasher
Binge Watcher

Thanks @MarCuc - I'm actually lucky in that I've got all my Roku devices working.  It's a workaround, it's not how it was set up before, it's not my preference but it works.

I'm just trying to help people who are going round in circles because they're being given poor advice like "hey, it must be your router!".

Channel changing is a good suggestion although may not work for everyone due to frequency congestion and/or ISP-managed router restrictions.

boogernose
Roku Guru

@techbasher  your setup seems almost as confounded and confused as you are.

I'm also retired from Tech and never have problems really.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
MarCuc
Binge Watcher

@techbasher wrote:

Channel changing is a good suggestion although may not work for everyone due to frequency congestion and/or ISP-managed router restrictions.

You are very right, it is just a workaround until Roku fixes the problem with a new version of firmware.

However, to install the new version of firmware, everyone would need to get Roku connected to the internet first 🙂

Akglenn225
Streaming Star

@boogernose Who knew routers could be so discriminatory 😏. Right after a Roku firmware update, it decided, “I don’t want this Roku on my network anymore. Unfriend and Block! Now you see me, now you don’t”

0 Kudos