Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjp123
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku won't connect to Wifi it was connected to.

Exactly.  it Must be Roku because if it were the Router, all my other devices would have issues.

So the question is, what if anything can be done?  Roku support doesn't seem to help.  A

0 Kudos
cjp123
Channel Surfer

I am using the manufacturer's firmware.  All devices connect to the router via wifi or through the hub except the Roku.

techbasher
Binge Watcher

Sorry @booge , I haven't gone out on a limb, the manufacturer explicitly supports DD-WRT on this model of router and the fact is both Roku Express devices (yes two) have worked perfectly for months, rock solid, with this setup.

One refuses to connect after the latest Roku update, to an access point it connected to for months.

The other works exactly as previously after the latest Roku update.

The situation speaks for itself.  It's a Roku issue.

Akglenn225
Streaming Star

For the very last time, the problem is not the router. The ONLY constant with this very large issue, is the Roku. We all have different internet providers and have all had no issues with connecting prior to this, again very large issue. 

You’re comments are not helpful at all. 

Also, unlike Roku, my internet provider has done everything they possibly can to help fix the issue. If the problem was the router, my other devices would also be having the same problem. But I get internet on my Samsung pc, my MacBook, my iPhone, my Samsung tv, my fire stick, my sons Nintendo switch, and finally his kindle fire. The only device not able to connect or even see my network is the Roku. 

we have all spent a great amount of effort and time troubleshooting this with zero help from Roku. 

0 Kudos
MarCuc
Binge Watcher

The problem is caused by the Roku - I assume that the recent firmware update disabled it's ability to change the wifi channels automatically.

You can have a workaround though  you just need to switch the Wifi channel to the one which was active when the Roku was connected last time. If you router is changing the channels automatically, you can change that to manual and try one channel after another. Once having the right channel, the Roku will again see your Wifi.

boogernose
Roku Guru

This has been a problem with many for quite a while.

The problem always comes down to the Router.

If you have many things connected to the same wifi that in and of

itself may be the problem. Do you really think a million people connected to the same wifi signal

can run flawlessly? You can sit there in your stubbornness for eternity for all I care.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
cjp123
Channel Surfer

It actually sees my wifi.  What it can't do is connect to the internet.  It picks up the network.  I'm getting a sense it is a DNS issue but not sure how to fix it yet.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

@MarCuc  so youre saying it has nothing to do with the Router but they need to make changes to the Routers firmware?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
MarCuc
Binge Watcher

@cjp123 wrote:

It actually sees my wifi.  What it can't do is connect to the internet.  It picks up the network.  I'm getting a sense it is a DNS issue but not sure how to fix it yet.

then you have a different problem than most of the folks here. FOr most, the ROku does not see the wifi at all. For that problem - my suggestion should help to find a workaround until ROku will fix the firmware.

For you - did you change some router settings in the meantime?

0 Kudos
MarCuc
Binge Watcher

@boogernose wrote:

@MarCuc  so youre saying it has nothing to do with the Router but they need to make changes to the Routers firmware?

yes booger - but precisely: the problem is caused by the ROku because it lost the ability to switch channels automatically. And you can have a workaround by changing the wifi channel on your router.  

0 Kudos