Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karason

Re: Roku won't connect to Wifi it was connected to.

Yes, most likely. But until you switch to a 2.4Ghz network you can't even update the device, if they would fix this is the future.

0 Kudos
Beth52
Reel Rookie

yes mine too. I have express. Would love to know if working on it as I would rather not factory reset. All other devices connected and working fine

0 Kudos
cjp123
Channel Surfer

I am having the same issue even when I connect via ETHERNET to an Orbi Netgear satellite.  So far Roku has not been helpful.  This was after a firmware update on the ORBI, but not sure why the Roku won't connect to the internet.  IT "sees" the satellite but can no longer connect to the internet.

0 Kudos
Akglenn225
Streaming Star

My advice would be to NOT do a factory reset. I did and now it’s forever stuck at “choose you network”. Can’t do anything. What a disappointing piece of hardware and Roku support is about as helpful as using koolaid to clean your teeth. Can’t even Direct message this Roku Dan guy, tried 3 times now and keep getting an error that I’ve reached my private message limit. Crazy still is I've never been able to successfully send one so how is it I've reached the limit?

0 Kudos
cjp123
Channel Surfer

I did a factory reset on one of my 2 TCL/ROKU tvs.  that was one of the suggestions from TCL support.  I don't get your error message, but I still have the same issue.  This seems to be an obviously larger problem with people even if there are slight differences in connection (ethernet to a mesh/satellite hub like me vs. wifi).  And I have a feeling it's due to firmware updates on wireless routers--which are necessary from time to time and pretty essential for security.  I don't want to flash back to the old firmware, as Netgear suggested.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

If you can use Ethernet. You can get very long cables.

Otherwise make sure 2.4ghz is broadcasting. You can use your phone.

I use WiFiAnalyzer app on Android.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
cjp123
Channel Surfer

Thanks for adding to this thread.  I am using ethernet to an ORBI Netgear satellite that is working properly (i.e. I can plug in a laptop to it via ethernet and get on the web).  But it is NOT working with my orbi. So the issue isnt' just wifi or the 2.4 ghz band/vs 5 GHZ band. Something more odd is happening.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Well the problem is with the Router most likely.

I'm not very familiar with Netgear products these days.

I have read people with these Orbi's having problems though.

I think you meant to say the Roku is not working with it.

0 Kudos
techbasher
Binge Watcher

It's a Roku issue not a router issue.  There have been no firmware updates applied to my router prior to this issue.  I know this because it's a stable DD-WRT firmware that I flashed to the router myself way before this issue arose.

I have an Express 3930 which can see all 2.4GHz access points in the house and behaves as it has done since before the Roku update.

I have an Express 3900 which can ONLY see one 2.GHz access point in the house, coincidentally one that it was not previously connected to, and it refuses to even see the other 2.4GHz access point it was happily connected to for months.

This is not an ethernet vs wireless issue, nor a 2.4GHz vs 5GHz issue, nor a router firmware issue, this is a faulty Roku update that has removed functionality that has worked seamlessly for many customers for months.

boogernose
Roku Guru

If you are using DD-WRT you are not using the manufacturers firmware.

You gone out on a limb.

It definitely sounds like your problems are with your router.

0 Kudos