Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Akglenn225
Streaming Star

Re: Roku won't connect to Wifi it was connected to.

And yes, of course I’ve reboot my router. I was even on the phone with spectrum support for 2 hours and they reboot it a couple times from their end. After 3 months of using this device, it quite simply, stopped detecting my specific wireless network. It detects other extremely weak, irrelevant networks, but not mine which it has been connected to for the last 3 months. Every other device in my house picks up an excellent signal because I pay boatloads of money every month for super fast internet. This Roku is not even 6 feet from my router. The only support number I found for Roku, because the device is only 3 months old, was to scammers in India telling me I needed to pay $69 to “update” my device. Thanks for the support ROKU. If one more person tells me to reset or restart my device and router, I’m going to scream.  

Tags (1)
wasteproduct
Reel Rookie

Looks like I am able to fix the issue by switching router 2.4 GHz frequency from Auto to a particular channel. I did to 11. See if this helps. Nothing else worked (Resetting network, factory reset)

I had Roku Ultra, it worked fine until I needed to watch a DVD on a different External Input. I switched over no problem, when I switched back to the Roku input everything turned into a nightmare - this is my 3rd attempt at returning and trying a different Roku unit - I have a Sony KDL 46XBR2 in perfect working order and great picture - Roku has turned into a junk piece.

0 Kudos
techpuppy
Channel Surfer

I am having exactly the same problem. Earlier today everything was fine. This evening it does not work. I have tried restarting the modem and the Roku multiple times. When I scan for networks on the Roku it does not find my router. It does see other routers that neighbors have.

0 Kudos
Szabic
Channel Surfer

I did a factory reset. It solved all my problems, but I had to log into all of my services and set up my channels again. 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Thats why a restart is better if it works.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
techbasher
Binge Watcher

Experienced the same thing with one of two Roku Express devices today.

Having two devices in the house plus three different wireless access points allowed me to do a little testing.

Device 1 (Express 3900) would not see ANY WiFi networks when rescanning or after a simple restart.  Tried a "network connection reset" from the Roku menu and it could then see one of the 2.4GHz access points and it did connect.

It could not see the other 2.4GHz access point (that it has been connected to for YEARS) and it could not see the 5GHz access point (expected, as it does not support 5Ghz).

The differences? 

The 2.4GHz signal it can now see is configured as "Wireless N only" on WiFi Channel 1.
The 2.4GHz signal it can no longer see is configured as "Wireless N/G mixed" on WiFi Channel 11.
The 5GHz signal is "AC/N mixed".

Device 2 (Express 3930) is entirely unaffected and can see both 2.4GHz networks (again, not expected to see 5GHz).

My home WiFi configuration is deliberate and it looks like some partial or failed update on the Roku Express 3900 device has broken the wireless protocol behaviour of the unit.  Probably why their support people keep telling customers to reboot their routers in the vain hope that a reboot will pick another combination of protocols and channels.

Your mileage may vary but I recommend fiddling with those settings in your routers (if you can and are comfortable doing so) before you write off the Roku unit.  Hopefully a further update will fix this as the hardware WAS already capable of connecting to our existing WiFi setup!

0 Kudos

Same I tried soft reset and factory reset nothing worked. Never had a problem with the WiFi and roku until two days ago it just stop connecting and won’t show my WiFi in the settings. But I’m using the WiFi on my phone and laptop. This really sucks 

Szabic
Channel Surfer

Interesting! I had my router on a specific channel and changed it to auto, still no connection. Ran an optimizer app to see which channels were best in my area tried those. No connection. Only the factory reset helped. Glad you’re getting somewhere. 

0 Kudos
Ty3

Just purchased a new Roku Ultra, came home and connected it to WiFi. It automatically did a firmware update, restarted and now won’t connect to the same network. It sees the network, just won’t connect. I’ve done the standard, power cycle, reset, on both roku and router. 

All other devices in the same proximity are able to connect to the network. 

I hope Roku is working on a fix... Not that I could connect to download it. 

0 Kudos