Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matandch
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku won’t connect to WiFi but all other devices in house work!

I’m having the same issue with  three Roku + devices I recently purchased a few days ago. The all worked fine for a few hours after initial set up. All lost the connection to internet and now can’t get back on. My wifi shows up with a sting signal but no connect. Not a very good first impression. Luckily I can still return them to Amazon and probably will. 

0 Kudos
L1ghtbr1nger
Channel Surfer

So danny are you going to somehow undo the update that ruined our devices?

0 Kudos
matandch
Reel Rookie

I found if you do a factory reset and go though the whole set up process again it will work  UNTIL the next power outage or wifi interruption at which point back to square one unless you once again go through factory rest process once again. Still not acceptable. 

0 Kudos
Tama
Binge Watcher

So an outage could have caused this....because of the new update? Anyone have an idea from past experience if Roku will eventually address this? Is waiting awhile an option?

0 Kudos
dgg9
Streaming Star

I predict there’s nothing they can do.  In the parlance, they’ve “bricked” the units: the very mechanism by which software updates would be supplied is now itself broken.  The units are unreachable.   

0 Kudos
Tama
Binge Watcher

Sorry I am not very tech savvy. Would it then be futile to buy a new unit? I actually like the Roku interface but would it be better to just switch to Amazon, for instance?

0 Kudos
matandch
Reel Rookie

I bought 3 units- Roku + - all 3 are behaving the same way. I’m totally flummoxed. I too like a lot of things about Roku. But it seems that it’s not to be. If I can’t get it figured out in a week or 2 I’ll return them to Amazon. I’ll take a hit on return fees but it is what it is. 

0 Kudos
Tama
Binge Watcher

Is this just the express that has the problem? Anybody having issues with the others?

0 Kudos
Seren
Binge Watcher

Since this problem appears to be related to wifi access points that use 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies and try to force devices onto 5Ghz (known as "band steering"), you can probably buy/borrow/dust-off an access point that either only uses 2.4Ghz or uses different names for each frequency in order to get your Roku online (if they ever deign to acknowledge this problem and issue an update to fix it).

I found that using my phone in hotspot mode worked for checking for updates, though it's obviously not a solution for streaming.

0 Kudos
SParis
Reel Rookie

That is not an option. My roku cannot find any network, including both of my phones as hotspots (that previously worked). It cannot find any of the 12 networks my laptop can find right now. I have tried entering 2 networks as private with no luck. Just for fun, I have my roku Premiere sitting on top of my router. Just can't wait for someone to tell me to bring the two closer together.

0 Kudos