Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CrystalsStream
Binge Watcher

Roku usb cable that connects a roku stick to the tv is broken. Can a non-roku wifi usb cable work?

Jump to solution

Hello.  My usb cable is broken and can't be replaced via the Roku store because they are out of stock. Can non-Roku wifi usb cables be used?  I tried using a regular usb cord (RocketFish) and it did not work. 

This is a technical question, so please, no suggestions to just go buy a new roku stick or remote.  I am looking for an answer as to whether or not a non-Roku cord can be used with Roku as Roku's USB cable replacement is out of stock.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku usb cable that connects a roku stick to the tv is broken. Can a non-roku wifi usb cable wor

Jump to solution
@CrystalsStream wrote:

... I am looking for an answer as to whether or not a non-Roku cord can be used with Roku as Roku's USB cable replacement is out of stock....

In your other posts, you indicated it was a Streaming Stick+, which requires the USB Power Cable with Long-range Wi-Fi® Receiver. Another standard USB cable will power the device, but the WiFi won't work since there won't be an antenna. The antenna is that thick part. Without it, no antenna. No antenna, no WiFi.

You need that cable. No ifs, ands, or buts. << Read that again

I am not aware of any third-part cable that contains an antenna.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

DBDukes

Re: Roku usb cable that connects a roku stick to the tv is broken. Can a non-roku wifi usb cable wor

Jump to solution

@CrystalsStream 

Roku is a single-purpose computer. It only supports hardware that Roku includes within the operating system. Don't think of a Roku as like a Raspberry Pi or other small circuit board computer. They are a limited system, same as the other dedicated streaming devices. Those items in the article will work on most Windows, Mac, or Linux systems that have drivers for them, or they will include the drivers. Roku, despite being a computer, is a limited, closed system, computer, and you can't add your own drivers.

Unless you find a third-party cable that explicitly says it works with the model 3810/3811 Streaming Stick+, don't get it. Even then, ensure you have a return option, if it's not a used device.

As for used devices, there are Streaming Stick+ devices on eBay for under $20, but they are bid items, not Buy Now items. But if you keep your eye out, you may find a device on eBay that includes the correct cable. Ensure they haven't swapped with a standard USB, or you're back to where you are now.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Ok so this is your 3rd post about this. As previously state if your Roku is in warranty then file a warranty claim and you will get a new cable sent to you. Unfortunately the cable is out of stock. If your Roku is out of warranty a new cable is $20. But there is still no stock. There is NO aftermarket cable. You can only use a WiFi booster cable that is exclusive to Roku cause it is also how the remote works. The cable contains a WiFI booster adapter to boost your WiFi signal and for the remote. No company makes a replaced cable. Nothing else can be done. Either wait for  the cable to be in stock ($20) or purchase a new Roku. Unfortunately that's your only choice. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku usb cable that connects a roku stick to the tv is broken. Can a non-roku wifi usb cable ...

Jump to solution

Hey @CrystalsStream

We're here to help!

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected USB cable. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
DBDukes

Jump to solution
@CrystalsStream wrote:

... I am looking for an answer as to whether or not a non-Roku cord can be used with Roku as Roku's USB cable replacement is out of stock....

In your other posts, you indicated it was a Streaming Stick+, which requires the USB Power Cable with Long-range Wi-Fi® Receiver. Another standard USB cable will power the device, but the WiFi won't work since there won't be an antenna. The antenna is that thick part. Without it, no antenna. No antenna, no WiFi.

You need that cable. No ifs, ands, or buts. << Read that again

I am not aware of any third-part cable that contains an antenna.

DBDukes

CrystalsStream
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you.  I have found several after market replacements online pointing to amazon and ebay.  I think even walmart came up in my search results.  But I'm always skeptical of false claims online -- even through the big companies that will provide automatic refunds.

Yes, that was my discovery, too.  I plugged in an old rocketfish usb cord (after painstakingly searching through a bin full of old cords!) only to find that the cord connected the tv to the remote, but not the wifi.

Thanks again for your reply.  I'm now beginning to understand a little more about the roku/google fight.

Roku is the new Microsoft "browser" I suppose.  LOL

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Please posts the links. There is no aftermarket replacement cable at all. I even looked. There are replacement USB cables and USB extension cables. But there is no replacement cable with the built in WiFi booster. If there is then post the link please. Any cable must have the WiFi booster circled in red. 

Capture 8.PNG

0 Kudos
CrystalsStream
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Why couldn't something like this work?

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-usb-wi-fi-adapters

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Those are WiFi adapters for devices that do not have WiFi capability such as computer. Did you read the article? "If one computer in the farthest reaches of your home has trouble seeing your Wi-Fi network, you don't have to drop hundreds on a mesh networking system. A USB Wi-Fi antenna is a much more affordable alternative."

Your issue is not with a computer. It is with a Roku. 

0 Kudos
CrystalsStream
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Did you not know that TVs and phones are computers?  LOL

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Please take the time to read the article. You’re grasping at straws now. What you posted specifically are designed for a computer meaning Windows or Mac. An Apple iPhone is called a smartphone. A new TV is called a smart TV. A computer in terminology means something such as Windows or Mac. You said you have found several aftermarket cables. Can you provide links to those? Thanks 

0 Kudos