Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku streaming device not connecting to wireless network

My roku premier will not connect to the wireless system. I have restarted the router and check my system and all and it still will not connect. What can i do i have had the device a long time can someone please help

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku streaming device not connecting to wireless network

Hello @Godsgrace45

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

- Is there any error message when trying to connect?
- May we know whether Roku is detecting the network?
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected?

We recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: How to connect your Roku® streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet

Keep us posted so we can better help you further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku streaming device not connecting to wireless network

@Godsgrace45-

Roku Express/Express+ (not the relatively new Express 4K/4K+ models 3940/3941) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers above 4620) are lower end units with single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band. They, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it.

Several things to check relative to this.

If you have one of these Roku models and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.  There have been reports lately of updates to the router shutting off the router's 2.4 GHz band, especially with equipment supplied by internet providers. Users with no access to their router's settings have had to contact their provider to get 2.4 GHz turned back on or in some cases have the router replaced with a new one.

Within the 2.4 GHz band, Rokus support channels 1-11 as are used in North America. If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels outside this range make sure your router is set to use a channel in this range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside this range.

There also have been reports of router updates changing the router's 2.4 GHz connection parameter settings. This has been reported with equipment from Xfinity, AT&T, and Cox, but there may be others. Affected users report the router configuration needs to be switched from g/n protocols back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos