Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotel Connection Not Working

Jump to solution

I am in a hotel room, I fooled all the steps and I cannot find the prompt “I am in a hotel or dorm room”.  Where is the prompt?  It is no where to be found.  And yes my device is activated.

seanlevans
Channel Surfer

Re: Why is it so difficult to connect Hotel/Dorm option!?

Jump to solution

Roku really does suck! I can't believe the idiots from Roku who respond to these messages with the same irrelevant answer. I've just learned never to purchase another Roku product, given they can't fix this simple problem. 

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@seanlevans  unless you can elaborate on your situation your comment means nothing. This is a community. Not tech support specific 

https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

0 Kudos
Darkitec
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That is all good and well but I just keep getting error code 009 (unable to connect to internet.  I've reset wireless, I've unplugged and plugged in the box, I've removed and reinstalled the HDMI cable.   for 20 min. now and I keep getting the same 009 error.   Why can't you make a spot to reset the hotel or dorm connect manually, why do we have to rely on faulty programing?

Darkitec
Channel Surfer

Re: Hotel/Dorm connection issues

Jump to solution

Same problem I'm having, worse, I'm still at the same hotel. but the option to reauthenticate the roku box does not come up. 

Darkitec
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Amen,  I just said the same thing.   Where's the manual option to set up the dorm hotel setting? 

Dave_ROK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same issue for me — no hotel option. I tried several of the fixes here but none work. I have six Roku’s at home and we quite like them but I guess I have to get a Firestick or Chromecast for travel. 

The most absurd thing is that dozens of users have the same complaints over many months and all we get from the Roku mods is copy paste answers that everyone says don’t work. How hard is it to just update the firmware so the hotel option could be manually selected?

scottyroo

Jump to solution

I wanted to provide the steps that I did to get my Streaming Stick working at a Marriott hotel after experiencing the “I’m at a hotel or dorm” loop that others have experienced. Im not sure what specific step did the trick. 
1 - Roku settings - reset network connection
2 - unplug the power to the little black media box that runs the hotel TV. 
3 - unplug the Ethernet-looking cable “game control/MPI” going into the back of the TV

4 - unplug hdmi from little black box from HDMI 1. Plug in Roku to that port (unplugging MPI control cable enable CEC control of TV volume! Huzzah!)

5 - go through connection steps again. I did it again after doing those steps and the woof address and code screen never disappeared. I connected with my iPhone and loges into the Marriott wifi portal and it saved. 

I think it might have something to do with Ethernet over HDMI or some signal coming from that black box. Or the MPI cable. I don’t know. But it finally worked!!!

0 Kudos
PBJ238

Jump to solution

I finally found a solution!  

BACKGROUND:

I've been staying at a Marriott property for over a month for work.  Everything was fine, I had one day where I spent maybe an hour trying to get it to connect and roku eventually gave me the hotel option.  Today however, was a nightmare. I turned on to see "No Connection".  I clicked on the Marriott WIFI and it says not internet connection.  I never once could get the "are you in a hotel or at home" prompts..... thus never being able to connect to the "ROKU-DIRECTxxxxx" wifi to be able to put in my login information for the wifi. I spent 6+hours trying to find some method to fix the issue. I restarted, I turned off ping, I reset network, I even did a total factory reset.  NOTHING worked, but I finally a solution that worked!  I'd call it a slightly advanced fix but not that difficult.

SPOOF YOUR ROKU IP address on a computer.  You'll have to look up the specifics on your operating system but this worked for me.  Google how to spoof MAC address on (your operating system) and follow directions to set a specific thing. For me I followed this how-to with minor mods (see below) using MacOS 12.4

https://osxdaily.com/2021/09/05/change-mac-address-macos-mac-spoof/ 

This set up the program to allow it to happen, only change was rather than follow the steps for setting a random MAC address you have to use 

sudo spoof-mac set <YOUR MAC ADDRESS FROM THE ABOUT SECTION ON YOUR ROKU> <en0 or whatever channel you are using on your wifi (to find on a Mac click the wifi icon while holding "option")>

This allowed me to log in to the hotel wifi with it under the identical MAC address that the ROKU used.  I then turned off the wifi on my computer and clicked on the hotel wifi on my ROKU and everything worked perfectly.  Last, reset to your old MAC address (or set a random MAC), re-login to hotel wifi on your computer and everything is done!

ROKU - PLEASE FIX THIS BS ISSUE!

Dave_ROK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It really shouldn’t take 6 hours of trial and error to get something this simple to work. Roku has been aware of this for months. (And by the way I had a similar experience with another issue — Roku either does not care or is incompetent.)

After a couple of of hours of experimenting I gave up on getting the Roku to work. 

I have many Roku’s in action right now (home and vacation home) but have obtained a Chromecast to use while traveling (and may pick up an Amazon Fire stick as well). I guess it’s good to know what’s out there because the next Roku issue may not only happen while away from home.