Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Commander_keen
Reel Rookie

Re: Why is it so difficult to connect Hotel/Dorm option!?

Jump to solution

Add me to the list of people staying at a Marriott where previously I was able to use a Roku given the proper steps, but who now no longer see the option to select it’s a hotel, and this can’t authenticate and use the internet connection on Roku. Was the whole reason I went out and bought one on this trip. 

activated using hotspot. All my apps show up. Linked to my account. Won’t let me authenticate to hotel network. 

I agree there needs to be more advanced options for us to configure manually if a connection is a hotel so we can get DIRECT-Roku to activate and let us proceed. 

jbea

Re: Hotel / Dorm Mode for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue. 

model: 3810X -Roku Streaming Stick +

software version: 10.5.0 - build 4201-50

I’m able to connect to the hotel system, and it says my connection is "excellent."

Then when I click “Check connection"; it shows a spinning marker next to "available networks" that gets a green checkmark.  Then it shows a spinning marker next to "wireless connection" and quickly gets a green check.  Then a spinning marker next to "internet connection" that quickly goes to a red x.

Then, a new pop-up notice appears that's entitled "Unable to connect to wireless Network.". When you click "ok" on that pop-up, it redirects back to the Settings menu.

Tried a few different ways and a number of times.  Always the same response, and never an option to click "I am at a hotel or college dorm".

I'm bummed I won't be able to use my Roku on this trip.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Commander_keen @jbea

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to investigate the issue further for you.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to look into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Commander_keen
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Streaming Stick 4k

Model: 3820X

ID: SO8Y41AA5JEP

SN: X017000A5JEP

SW: 10.5.1 build 4049-CU

Tracker ID EP-444-983

Go to settings, network set up network connection, select wireless, and select Marriott_GUEST. says it connects, but no dorm/hotel notification. submitted above tracker ID then connected to my hotspot to send the data over by forcing a check for new version. saw that a new version was released. updated to 10.5.1 build 4062-CU. roku rebooted. verified running new version. tried to connect to Marriot_GUEST at LAX AIRPORT Marriott. shows connected. no prompt about dorm/hotel. go to check connection, green check for available networks and wireless as well as internet. submit report ID EP-494-397. Open Netflix, get error NW-4-8. try to open Disney+, wants me to login, i enter my credentials, it logs me in, but when i go to select a movie (Home Alone 2: Lost in New York), it says ‘an unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected’. maybe its the sticky bandits. launch hulu and it gives me a generic ‘network error’ message. submit ID EP-494-405. Connected again to hotspot and checked for updates to hope it sends logs.

0 Kudos
Commander_keen
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

ya know, if there was just a freakin’ low key web browser on this thing, i could be up and running. 

Jump to solution

Same issue. 3810X 

software is 10.5.0 build 4208-59

issue ID 72-469-582

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Commander_keen

Thanks for the information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Itssalexandrea
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I followed the steps. Multiple times. I dont need another list of steps. My dorm/university doesnt ask me to enter information such as name and room#. So I just have an empty browser that wont connect to the Internet and a tv that wont connect to my wifi router that works. This is my first problem ever with my roku TV in three years. Like what’s the deal? Y’all don’t have a customer service number? I need this fixed. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Your Dorm/Hotel connection steps dont work

Jump to solution

Have you tried calling your university's help desk?  They may need to whitelist your TV.  Different schools/hotels use different methods of allowing access and the method built into the Roku doesn't always work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tfornshell

Jump to solution

Step 5 never appears

0 Kudos