Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeniorChief
Reel Rookie

Re: Hotel / Dorm Mode for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

Danny,

Thanks for getting back.  This device Hotel and Dorm feature worked at a previous hotel last month. 

Dan

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SeniorChief

Thanks for the follow up.

Are you doing anything different in connecting to the wireless network than you did previously?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
SThorsensc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny (at Roku support)

Please help us by getting a new firmware release. All of us are having the same problem of not getting the pop up screen asking us if we are using a hotel or dorm connection. 

I stay at Marriott properties exclusively and to connect to their WiFi, we first connect our device to Marriott_Guest SSID. Surprisingly, the hotel router assigns us an IP address but we still have no internet connection because it does not bring up an option to input our room number and last name for hotel internet billing. 

At some point, my Roku Streaming Stick+ no longer has the Hotel and Dorm option. 

Please fix the firmware and send us an update. 

SThorsensc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny,

To continue for your troubleshooting, my device is the following parameters 

Model. 3810X-Roku Streaming Stick+
Serial # YH002N888534

Software ver. 10.5.0 build 4174-50

Wootton
Binge Watcher

Re: Why is it so difficult to connect Hotel/Dorm option!?

Jump to solution

The problem is the test roku is doing to see if the device is connected to the internet is wrong. 

it is either getting dns activity or confusing the captive login page as connectivity. 

if instead the device “called home” to verify it had a real internet connection and verified the known home site responded with actual known data it would not be fooled into thinking it had an internet connection and would leave the hotel/dorm configuration up. 

The work around of registering your MAC address isn’t a solution. 

the solution is a really simple correction to the logic of determining internet connectivity. 

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Wootton wrote:

The problem is the test roku is doing to see if the device is connected to the internet is wrong. 

it is either getting dns activity or confusing the captive login page as connectivity. 

if instead the device “called home” to verify it had a real internet connection and verified the known home site responded with actual known data it would not be fooled into thinking it had an internet connection and would leave the hotel/dorm configuration up. 

The work around of registering your MAC address isn’t a solution. 

the solution is a really simple correction to the logic of determining internet connectivity. 

For clarity, are you proposing that the roku should do a test similar to browsers I.e. go to web paged like msftconnect or gstatic?

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Wootton
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My assumption is that the test for internet connectivity is based on either dns resolution or bits received.  

with a captive login at a hotel — something about the roku’s internet connectivity test fails “positive”.   The later is probably easiest and really not that difficult for a user. 

my suggestion is to either validate the received bytes are not just the captive login from a webpage,  validate against a known data source,  or don’t automatically break from the hotel/dorm configuration (wait for the user to say they are complete or cancel)

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

My personal opinion is the easiest fix is to add a manual method of activating the hotel/dorm function. No need to alter anything it does now. If it connects without offering the function, allow the user to manually trigger it. That shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Wootton
Binge Watcher

Re: Direct Roku for dorm is not showing

Jump to solution

Connecting you to other current threads as like you I am trying to solve hotel/dorm/captive connections preventing configuration of the wifi 

what’s supposed to happen is that you click on the network, a dialog pops up for hotel/dorm, you login to the roku through a temporarily available wifi point, enter your login details and it just works. 

the problem is that the dialogue/configuration utility closes in 2-4 seconds IF you get it (about 10%) of the time. 

this seems to be because the roku is mistaking the activity on the network for connectivity to the internet.  As soon as it incorrectly determines connectivity it closes the configuration dialog and closes its wifi port for configuration. 

good luck!!!

Wootton
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku Premier

YT001W632079 / 4620x Premier / 10.0.0 build 4209-29 / 7J9691632079

This is clearly a software problem... the test to determine internet connectivity is wrong and is falsely breaking out of the hotel/dorm config menu.  Make that configuration something manually triggered/completed by the user -- the internal working of the setup works fine, but gets shutdown by wrongly detecting internet connectivity.