Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jc37801
Channel Surfer

Why is it so difficult to connect Hotel/Dorm option!?

Jump to solution

Roku has to have found a better way to connect when using the hotel/dorm option. This is the most frustrating thing ever. Trying to connect for hours having tried literally hundreds of times. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why is it so difficult to connect Hotel/Dorm option!?

Jump to solution

Hi @jc37801,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community! 

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter. I understand that you are unable to connect your Roku device using hotel/dorm wireless network.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Have you tried connecting your device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if it will connect?

Follow these steps to connect to the internet:

After you arrive at your destination and set up your Roku device, initiate and authenticate the connection to the internet using the instructions below.

• Initiate the connection

Open the Settings menu on your Roku device to initiate the connection.

1. Press the Home button home on your Roku remote.
    2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
    3. Select Network.
    4. Select Set up connection.
    5. Select Wireless.
    6. From the list of available networks, choose the wireless network for the hotel or college dorm. If you do not see the network, select Scan again to see all networks.
    7. After your Roku device connects to the network, select I am at a hotel or college dorm.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How do I use Hotel & Dorm Connect to connect to the internet? | Official Roku Support

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Many thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
jc37801
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am using a roku streaming stick+ but i have also previously had this problem on both of my roku TVs. The screen refreshes before I can enter the passwords to log in. I was looking through other questions and many other people have had a similar experience with no real resolution. I’ve had this stick since Monday night and still have not been able to connect after hundreds of tries. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jc37801

Thanks for the post.

Have you already activated your Roku device before trying to connect using the Hotel & Dorm connect feature?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I took one of my Ultras with my last month on my first trip in over a year. I had no issues connecting it to the Marriott WiFi. The only problem I've had in the past was keeping the device I used to complete the authentication connected to the Roku long enough to finish. My iPhone was constantly disconnecting, and my iPad was less than reliable. Using a Windows laptop worked every time. Now on the last trip I used the iPad without an issue. 

You might try resetting the network connections in the Roku (it forgets all previous network connections) and see if a fresh connection works better. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jc37801
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is new. How can I activated without having to go through this step? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jc37801 wrote:

It is new. How can I activated without having to go through this step? 

New devices must be linked to a Roku user account. If you are in a hotel/dorm where authentication is needed to connect to their Internet, you might try using a phone hotspot to complete the initial setup, then you can connect to the other wireless connection afterwards.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jc37801
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That’s the problem though. I am using my phone to authenticate it. The screen refreshes before I Can authenticate the hot spot on my phone. I’ve had this device for a week now and I still have not been able to use it. This is pointless there’s no real answers here that are actually helpful. I’m not doing anything wrong. Roku sucks 

Ronin22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is not a solution.  Why is it so hard to understand that? The problem is it won’t give us the option to do the hotel/dorm if we’ve previously connected. Hotels only associate a MAC address with an account/room for so long. After that expires if the Roku won’t let us do the hotel connection again to log back in it it can’t be used. Reconnecting to the WiFi just acts like it’s connected. Network connection reset doesn’t change anything. Connecting to a different WiFi and the trying to reconnect doesn’t work. Roku thinks the connect is good and doesn’t give the hotel option. Check connection gives one one green check and a fail x. Internet download speed is poor…error 18. Again no “hotel login option”. Streaming Stick+ Software version 9.4.0 build 4200-50. The only thing that works is calling the service provider and having them manually link the MAC address in their system. So everything is fine it’s just the Roku won’t let me enter the hotel login information so the service provider is blocking the connection. 

jc37801
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you! Someone that gets what I am saying. It is unacceptable that we have to call the service provider when it’s a roku problem that they should be able to fix on their end. It can’t possibly be ALL of our service providers faults.