Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mijer1821
Reel Rookie

Roku signal strength excellent but won't connect

Jump to solution

Hi, I am using a Roku Express (less than 2 years old) and in the past 3 days it will no longer connect to my WiFi. I know I'm not the first person to post this - I swear I have read so many threads and tried everything I can think of/find, but have had no luck and grateful for any additional advice or suggestions.

I've tried resetting the Roku (MANY soft resets and one factory reset), resetting my modem 10+ times, resetting the network connection, moving the TV (the Roku and modem are about 6 inches from each other, as they have been for months!), and resetting the drivers in the "secret wireless menu" (???). My phone and laptop are working normally. Just a Roku issue. It has consistently said the signal strength is excellent but all of a sudden will not connect. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions? It's amazing how infuriating this can be. I am about to buy a new (non-Roku) device but want to try any other fixes first! 

Thanks in advance for any tips! 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

Re: Roku signal strength excellent but won't connect

Jump to solution

You did not mention which Roku Express model you own. I imagine it’s the base model. The base model Roku Express only works on the 2.4GHz b,g,n WiFi network. It’s a single band unit. Other Roku devices are dual band which means they can work on the 2.4 and 5.0. Sometimes your Internet service provider pushes out an update to your modem which can knock your base model Roku Express offline. So you will need to reconfigure your modem to work on the 2.4GHz b,g,n WiFi. Who is your ISP? What is your Roku model number? The reason your phone and laptop are working perfectly fine is because they’re dual band. Most likely running on the 5.0GHz WiFi 

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@mijer1821

With a Cox router, you may or may not be able to change the 2.4ghz settings.  In some cases, the router is not user configurable so a call must be made to Cox in that instance.  

Instructions for the various cable ISP router logins and making changes are below.

------

Instructions for Changing the Router/Gateway Settings….

Xfinity / Comcast → ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi ) with a walkthrough ( https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...)

Cox → (https://www.cox.com/residential/support/managing-your-in-home-network-with-my-wifi.html)

AT&T → (https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1046172). You can select your appropriate router from the drop down menu.

--------

Restart both your Router and the Roku device after making the above change.

Feel free to post an update or if you need more help. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

You did not mention which Roku Express model you own. I imagine it’s the base model. The base model Roku Express only works on the 2.4GHz b,g,n WiFi network. It’s a single band unit. Other Roku devices are dual band which means they can work on the 2.4 and 5.0. Sometimes your Internet service provider pushes out an update to your modem which can knock your base model Roku Express offline. So you will need to reconfigure your modem to work on the 2.4GHz b,g,n WiFi. Who is your ISP? What is your Roku model number? The reason your phone and laptop are working perfectly fine is because they’re dual band. Most likely running on the 5.0GHz WiFi 

mijer1821
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply! It is the base model. My ISP is Cox, and you're right - there are (and have been) both the 2.4 and 5GHz networks. The Roku had been running fine on the 2.4 until a few days ago. Not to make you do the Googling for me, but do you know a good source for learning how to reconfigure the modem? Or if I can do that on an ISP-owned modem? I have no experience with that but am willing to try anything. Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It depends which Cox modem you own. You can find instructions on their website. But you can always call them 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@mijer1821

With a Cox router, you may or may not be able to change the 2.4ghz settings.  In some cases, the router is not user configurable so a call must be made to Cox in that instance.  

Instructions for the various cable ISP router logins and making changes are below.

------

Instructions for Changing the Router/Gateway Settings….

Xfinity / Comcast → ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi ) with a walkthrough ( https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...)

Cox → (https://www.cox.com/residential/support/managing-your-in-home-network-with-my-wifi.html)

AT&T → (https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1046172). You can select your appropriate router from the drop down menu.

--------

Restart both your Router and the Roku device after making the above change.

Feel free to post an update or if you need more help. 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

mijer1821
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar @DellStreamer 

Thank you both for your help!! I'm going to try these tonight and will report back. I appreciate it! 

mijer1821
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar @DellStreamer 

Thank you both again. I logged into the router settings (a first for me) - I couldn't actually find the recommended changes/options, but I reset the module as a crapshoot and factory reset the Roku, and it worked! Inordinate relief and gratitude!

I know there are a million threads with the same or similar questions, but your individual responses REALLY helped me here. Thank you both so much for taking the time. You are much appreciated! 

DellStreamer
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@mijer1821  Your welcome.

0 Kudos
Merry3

Jump to solution

Hello, I have a Roku express which has been working perfectly since I bought it years ago. I have it connected wirelessly. My internet service is via AT&T Uverse. Nothing has changed with with my network or my password in the past 3 months. When i turn on my TV and try to use my Roku, it says that I am not connected. I have gone through all of the troubleshooting steps at least 10 times (except touching my router at all, as all of my other devices work just fine), and still can't connect. Was thinking maybe I need a new HDMI cable? Or a new roku? Very frustrating. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Merry3 

You have a Roku Express? That device operates on 2.4 GHz band only. Here's why that matters.

Many ISPs, including AT&T, have begun changing settings on wireless routers users lease from them. They change the settings from 802.11 b/g/n to g/n. That'll stop many Roku Express devices from connecting.

Check your router settings and see if that's what happened.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."