Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LindaLee41

Roku not connecting to internet but my internet is perfectly fine

Anyone having this problem, No internet connection but everting else in you home is connected. Frustrating. I have two rokus and this happen to both of them at the same time. So try the reset button (mine was located on the back near all the input cables.) Resetting is like starting a new Roku tv. Follow the prompts to set up internet then to email.For me the case was an update that would go though. I've try all from unplugging, restarting the router, retyping into the network (internet) and restarting my tv from the settings menu.Bit Reset worked for me good luck.

25 REPLIES 25
BossPlayer5150
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku not connecting to internet but my internet is perfectly fine

This is the solution that worked for me!  You need the xfinity app to control your router.  This option is in 2.4ghz channel setting. 

It must default to g/n when you restart your router (which i just did)  and that's what makes the roku not like your network anymore. 

0 Kudos
RaymondKn
Channel Surfer

Re: Why is my Roku not connecting to internet or WiFi?

Sorry doubled message to this group! see my other message

0 Kudos
RaymondKn
Channel Surfer

I work at a dorm school, all staff live here also. over the weekend we have had 4 Roku devices all stop connecting to Wifi. 1 device was a 75" TV used for display in a common location, that was less then 2 years old.

I called support for the TV brand they gave me Roku support, I called Roku support.

What fixed this TV, (haven't tested this everywhere), we had the "Bandwidth Saver" setting turned on. she told me to turn it off. (The only step I hadn't tried myself), the next time I attempted the wifi it connected!

She also had me connect to my phone as a hotspot, and at the moment the wifi connected I was already on the hotspot when I tried connecting to the wifi again. not sure if any of this was part of the fix or not. I had also did a system shutdown and restart and clearing of the network settings prior to the tech support conversation.

I hope to help our other staff reconnect their personal Roku's as well using this same fix. We urge people to use Bandwidth Saver because we all share the same bandwidth here at our school.

The lady did say that sometimes having the Bandwidth saver turned on, while trying to reconnect causes connection to fail, this is first I've heard of that, so hope this helps everyone else.

I'll try to comment again or add to this if it works in on other devices.

Tags (2)
RaymondKn
Channel Surfer

I am updating on my post from yesterday:

I can reliably perform these steps every time.

I connect to my hotspot, while I'm connected to the hotspot, I then ask it to connect back to the wifi.

It then says it did connect to wifi, but when I turn off the hotspot, it disconnects.

I also noticed that the IP addresses never change away from my hotspot.

I get error 014.50 I have Roku emailing me to ask me additional details. our school and staff so far now have 6 devices 1 TV and 5 Roku express devices that all do the same thing. I have confirmed these steps on the tv and 2 of the express devices. one express device was tested with owners hotspot not mine.

I will be taking some express devices to another nearby location to confirm this is not my school network and sending Roku pictures of those as well.

roku version is on the TV is: 11.5.0 build 4312-A2 haven't got data on all the others yet

Test your own devices, confirm these same consistency and call Roku, let's be loud enough to get an engineer or software programmer to hear us!!

RaymondKn
Channel Surfer

Update after a few days of trial and error.

Part of my problem here at the school looks like a failover dhcp server vm. I have no idea why only Roku devices decide to not connect to wifi when it is on but only Roku devices failed.

The only thing I did recently with that server was move the VM from old hardware to new hardware, it still has all the same settings and the failover was still intact and working between the 2 dhcp servers.

I looked at time clocks and made sure they were in sync as well as many other settings, I tried again today to turn on the failover server and the Roku TV couldn't connect to wifi.

This might be related to others issues, but might not, since I can't prove at this time the server isn't at fault. I disabled the failover server and will be building another, because I need failover.

I will have to readdress this if the issue returns.

Since absolutely no other device seemed to have issues, and all the people here having trouble, I still believe something needs fixed, but at this time, I need to rebuild.

Hope someone who knows more might put this with something else and figure it out if they are related.

Thanks

0 Kudos
cc123
Channel Surfer

Same ole' stuff, one hand exemplifying onto the other he has no idea of who he/she even is.

re-boot this/that again...buy more sell more...purchase cash but buy the warranty.

discard/trash /displace...all in a day's Data congestion...

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @cc123

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
DeadBeatNative2
Reel Rookie

##It's very simple why my #Roku Ultra (4670 series) will not connect to wifi.    ROKU devices do not support WPA3.  My new 802.11ax access points do not support any encryption less than WPA3 with exception of WPA2-SHA256 and certificate authentication.  But that whole problem is irrelevant now after my ISP switched to IPv6 only back in Nov.   ROKU can't use IPv6.   

However, on a side note the education network I work for is switching to IPv6 only in March. Our network has almost 3,800 roku devices which will be renderred useless across the campus network.  We will be referring all them to Roku Support after the switch.

0 Kudos
Al80
Reel Rookie

Had an all day power outage yesterday and everything works except the Roku.  I even tried my back-up Roku device.  What can I di?

0 Kudos