Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enderfem
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku no longer sees network

Both are Roku Premiere 3920x

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@enderfem 

Saw your more detailed question in another posting. Answered there for you.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/New-Router-Roku-only-sees-the-slowe...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Tdel

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Tdel Something has changed. Now was it the Roku or your router? That is the question to ask. 

The Roku 3920 is the latest version of the Premiere, which I also have. It is a single band WiFi device, and can only use the 2.4 GHz radio band. In that band, it can use channels 1-11. Routers by default will choose their own WiFi channel to use, and can change that channel on its own. If your router changed its channel to 12, 13, or 14, it would no longer be visible to your Roku. In that case, there's nothing wrong with the Roku. You simply need to manually assign the channel in your router. There are only three channels that don't overlap each other, so you should use 1, 6 or 11. You should also ensure the channel width (if that control is available) is set to 20 MHz. On 2.4 GHz, there's no need for a wider channel setting, as it only causes interference with other routers. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Tdel 

If nothing has changed, then try restarting your router.  After your router reboots, do a System Restart of your Roku Premiere.  (settings...system..system restart).  Then navigate back to Network Settings, press SCAN AGAIN a few times.  If no luck, navigate to Settings...System...Advanced System Setting, Network Connection Reset...Reset network.  Your Premiere should reboot, if not do another System Restart.

If the above does not work, then something has changed, there is a reason for it, and you will have to troubleshoot further.  Most likely, the 2.4gz band (required for Premiere to operate) is not broadcasting correctly.  Check that the 2.4gz is enabled/ON, Mode or Protocol set to b/g/n(Mixed), Channel set to 1-11 (not 12,13,or14), and you are using 20mhz bandwidth for troubleshooting.

Installing wifi analyzer app to your phone recommended.  Can also try connecting to a hotspot to check connectivity of the Premiere.  Post back your results or start a new thread with your router details and steps taken and can try to troubleshoot further if still having problems.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Veryconfused456
Channel Surfer

Appreciate the help folks. However, I’ve found a solution. Buy an Apple/android tv streaming box. Works perfect now and the customer support is 1000x better with either platform. I’m done with roku. 

0 Kudos
deraeler

Kudos to you for going Apple.  I went Nvidia Shield, but either is a better option.

I don't understand everyone's fanatical defense of Roku, these guys are monkeys with guns.

I have a Roku Ultra that's a few months old and while I don't have any way of explicitly seeing my network from the Ultra, the Roku MEdia Player - which worked for months and allowed me to play my OWN content from my NAS, suddenly stopped seeing my network.  I downloaded the Media Browser app - even manually configuring the address/port of my NAS failed.  I did all the router troubleshooting, even went to a hard-wired connection, no luck.  Two separate routers/connections at 2.4 or 5ghz, all using different channels - DOES NOT WORK.

I finally downloaded Plex, and it works, but I expect it's only a matter of time before Roku disables that as well.  

Their support is garbage, they do NOTHING to solve the problem, only obfuscate and deceive.  I used to recommend these boxes, but feel they do nothing to actually address issues with the "applications" they provide (disguised as "Channels")...despite all their invasive requirements (PIN's, up front Credit Card registration, etc) .

I'm spreading the word to avoid this company - decent technology doesn't mean anything if they can yank functionality at any time on which you based your purchase decision.  It's fraudulent, deceptive, and just really stupid business practice. You get what you deserve.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@deraeler wrote:

Kudos to you for going Apple.  I went Nvidia Shield, but either is a better option.

I don't understand everyone's fanatical defense of Roku, these guys are monkeys with guns.

I have a Roku Ultra that's a few months old and while I don't have any way of explicitly seeing my network from the Ultra, the Roku Media Player - which worked for months and allowed me to play my OWN content from my NAS, suddenly stopped seeing my network.  I downloaded the Media Browser app - even manually configuring the address/port of my NAS failed.  I did all the router troubleshooting, even went to a hard-wired connection, no luck.  Two separate routers/connections at 2.4 or 5ghz, all using different channels - DOES NOT WORK.

Roku devices are just fine for their intended purpose. Playing local media has always been an afterthought. Plex or Emby offers the best method for local media, but the Roku simply isn't designed for it. I use the Nvidia Shield for that myself, so I can get my full lossless audio and my UHD rips that exceed the Roku's Fast Ethernet connection.

However, Roku Media Player hasn't been updated in many months, so nothing has changed there. Your description points to a networking issue. RMP works just fine on all my players, wired, 2.4 and 5.0 wireless. Assuming there's no firewall on your NAS interfering with the connection (if other devices can see it, that's probably not an issue), then there's something in your network routing. For whatever reason your Roku can't see your NAS. Assuming the Roku is connecting to the Internet without issue, it's not the problem. WiFi networks can have a security setting that blocks connected devices from seeing other connected devices on your network, and only allows access to the Internet. If you're using different subnets, or VLANs, they won't appear on different segments without very specific routing rules in place. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos