Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shajost1984
Reel Rookie

Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

I ordered a cable for direct connection to try that out. At this point I’m having to restart my tv 2-3 times a morning. Tried rebooting the router. TV just randomly drops WiFi about every 10-20 mins when first starting after it’s been powered down for a bit. If the direct cable does not work, I’ll not be buying another Roku product which should fix the problem.

43 REPLIES 43
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from wifi

Hi @shajost1984

Thank you for the inquiry!

Roku devices can disconnect from Wi-Fi for a variety of reasons, including:

• Weak Wi-Fi signal: If your Roku device is too far away from your Wi-Fi router, the signal may not be strong enough to maintain a stable connection.
  • Network congestion: If there are too many devices connected to your Wi-Fi network, it can cause congestion and slow down your internet speed, which may result in your Roku device disconnecting from Wi-Fi.
  • Router or modem issues: If your Wi-Fi router or modem is malfunctioning or outdated, it may cause connectivity issues with your Roku device.
  • Network settings: If your network settings are not properly configured, it can cause connectivity issues with your Roku device.
  • Software issues: Sometimes, there may be bugs or software issues with the Roku device itself that can cause it to disconnect from Wi-Fi.

To troubleshoot the issue, you can try the following steps:

• Move your Roku device closer to your Wi-Fi router to improve the Wi-Fi signal strength.
  • Check for any network congestion by disconnecting other devices from your Wi-Fi network.
  • Restart your router and modem to ensure they are functioning properly.
  • Check your network settings to make sure they are properly configured.
  • Ensure your Roku device has the latest software updates installed.
  • If the issue persists, try resetting your Roku device to its factory settings, which can sometimes resolve software-related issues.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
shajost1984
Reel Rookie

Device is literally 2 feet from the brand new router that was installed 3 months ago. Maybe the device congestion thing, however we have been using the same amount of devices and the tv has only been dropping signal for about a month now. That’s what leads me to believe it’s something in the software. 

Collinsa6
Reel Rookie

Roku randomly disconnects from wifi, yet all other devices work fine, even the Apple TV that is plugged into the same tv. It’s there because I get tired of having to unplug Roku just to get connection back. Roku is plugged directly into the wall not the tv usb, I have reset the Roku and no updates currently available. This is ridiculous. I have owned other Roku sticks and never had this problem, now when Roku decides to quit working, it means every 10-30 minutes I will lose the show I’m watching. Have noticed after I reset the Roku stick I can usually get a day or two out of it before it starts all over again 

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi! @Collinsa6,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

• What device are you using right now?
  • Is this the first time you set up this Roku device?
  • How many devices do you have connected to your network right now?
  • When trying to connect to your network, what do you see on your screen? (before putting the network credentials)
  • How far is your device from your network router?

In order for us to check your network connection, please check this out: How to check the connection to your home network and the internet

Please keep us posted on what you find out and will be more than happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

What model Roku and which WiFi band are you using? Are you in a complex where WiFi congestion is evident? I suspect that once you connect via Ethernet, you won't have any problems since its FAR more reliable and secure.

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Collinsa6
Reel Rookie

Roku streaming stick 4K 

No, been using device since October

8 devices connected to my network (all of them working fine when Roku decides to go out) 

I don’t ever have to reconnect to the network, show stops, I get a message that connection was lost and remote won’t work, so only option is to disconnect and reconnect Roku, at which point everything works fine again. Remote also always works except when the Roku stops and claims there is no network connection. Have checked batteries and light inside battery panel lights up, so remote does still have power. 

TV is roughly 25-30 feet from router. My office is another 20 feet away with computer, printer and usually my cell and tablet as well and never have issues. It is only the Roku that has issues with connection when it goes out. 

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Collinsa6,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for reaching out and for the attempts at resolving this issue going on. Could you tell us if you are powering your device from a USB port on your TV or directly from a wall outlet? We also suggest trying an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if the problem still occurs.

Let us know how it goes so that we can continue working on this. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey 

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Collinsa6
Reel Rookie

My Roku is plugged into the wall, not the tv. I have tried switching out the usb adapter I’m using and no change. I tested using my mobile hotspot and same problem. I have now moved my Roku into my bedroom, it is plugged into the wall and now about 2 feet away from the router. I previously had this Roku in my room plugged into the same tv when I first purchased it and never had issues. I figured it had to be my older LG tv, so just tried on my newer Samsung tv (again, same tv it used to work on just fine) and lost connection to the internet, couldn’t get anything on the remote to work, had to unplug, replug and it works, but who knows for how long now. This is ridiculous and of course I’m sure I can’t get a refund, yet I haven’t even owned 1 year and probably only watch tv an average of 4-6 hours a week. I never had issues with other Roku devices but this is insane, you can’t even have continuous tv for 20 minutes

Collinsa6
Reel Rookie

I just found another thread talking about same issue and there is a reply here that shows the screen im getting. https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/Roku-Express-4K-loses-connection/m-p/883020/highlig...
Brizzle99 system pics. When I get in that screen, I can’t move from set up later or even click it. I have to unplug Roku. OBVIOUSLY there is an issue with this device and it needs to be fixed. Too many of us having exact same problem!!!!!!!!