Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chloto
Reel Rookie

Roku keeps disconnecting from Wifi

My Roku (32S321) keeps disconnecting from my wifi as of late, and when it disconnects I try to reconnect but it spits out error code 014.30 and 014.40. I have done everything the support has told me- unplugging, replugging, restarting- I even factory restarted and yet to no avail. Before this my TV was working perfectly fine with the internet.

How can I fix this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku keeps disconnecting from Wifi

@Chloto 

Do you have the option to connect to either the 2.4ghz band or 5ghz band (are you seeing two different connections for your network)?

From Settings/Network/About, what is the channel number you are seeing. (this will tell us either 2.4ghz or 5ghz as last connection).

Also, what is your router model number and who is ISP (internet service provider)?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Chloto
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar 

1. 5ghz I believe, and no it's only 1 to my knowledge.

2. 157 (I'm assuming you mean Wireless Channel)

3. SAC2V1K. Spectrum is my provider

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Chloto 

Unfortunately, not much you can do with that router other than change the wireless channel.  For Roku devices on the 5ghz band, you can select/use any channel 36-48, and 149-161.  You will likely need to use the "My Spectrum app" to make these changes, as Spectrum disabled the ability for users to access the router directly via a web portal on these routers.

Additionally, Spectrum has reportedly disabled the 2.4ghz on a fair number of their users' routers without their knowledge.  With the SAC2V1K, it is configured as a basic mesh system.  If your device disconnects from the 5ghz (normally from weak signal or interference), it is supposed to automatically find and connect to the 2.4ghz band.  Since you are having trouble establishing a reconnection, it seems at first glance that the 2.4ghz has either been disabled or is configured improperly. 

So.... a couple of things.  Call Spectrum and verify that your 2.4ghz is Enabled.  You need this as a fallback network for disconnected devices from the 5ghz band.  (Alternatively, if the Spectrum app allows you to disable the 5ghz band, you can try that.  With the 5ghz band disabled, devices will connect to the 2.4ghz band if it is enabled.)

In order to try and get a connection back to your Roku device, try changing the wireless channel on the router.  If you are able to in the settings, try lowering the "Bandwidth or Channel Width" to 40mhz and see if that helps yield more wireless channels and more connection stability.  From your RokuTV, perform a Network Connection Reset again (after you change wireless channel).  The Network Connection Reset is under Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.

-----

If still having issues after trying a few different wireless channels, try changing the SSID (network) password from within the router via the Spectrum app.  Just use a simpler password (or no password for troubleshooting) and see if connection is made.  If using no password (open network) allows you to establish connection easily; and using a password causes you issues, then would begin to consider that something may be wrong with the router or its firmware, or the RokuTV's NIC (wifi module) regarding authentication/connection between the Roku and the network.

At this stage, I would factory reset the router.  However, since you lease this router, I would ask for a replacement.  Basically, need to graduate the troubleshooting from seeing if a simple setting is causing the issue, or if it is a hardware issue. 

Feel free to post back after doing some of the above and report back if anything worked, helped, made worse, better, etc, or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Sandy139

I have a similar problem.  I'll be watching something and then 10 minutes later the roku stop working,  telling me there's no connection.  After a few minutes it connects again but it only stays connected for another 10 minutes before repeating the cycle.  Could the roku be old and need replacing? Does that happen?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sandy139,

Congrats on your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue with the Roku device connecting to your home network and we will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot Network issues: How to connect your Roku streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet | Official Roku Su...

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Another suggestion we suggest is to try to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot

Thanks again for posting and we hope the suggestions above get everything sorted out!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Sandy139

How does one reboot the roku?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sandy139,

Thanks for the quick response.

To restart the Roku device from Settings>System>Power>System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step), then disconnect it from the power cable and reconnect the device back to power.

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue. Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos

We have been having the same issue for five days now as the posts above. The tech from Spectrum was just out and replaced the router and modem and all our devices are working and stay connected except for our tv. The last update was on the 11th and we've tried all the steps you've mentioned above and no success. So there seems to be a bug issue with the last update on the 11th since the problems started after that. What do we do now? 

FYI - the Spectrum technician spent 4 hours of his time trying to get this fixed for us.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Texaschicken

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

Let us help you get connected to the network. When attempting to connect to the network, do you remember getting an error message or code? Could you tell us more about what happened during the process? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

And for troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting this Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to connect?

Let us know what you find out. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos