Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barb47
Streaming Star

Roku isn’t connecting to wifi

There are hundreds of people having the same issue.  Mine just started 2-3 weeks ago.  Never had a wireless or internet connection problem.  Now, ROKU is useless.  I have restarted the the router and roku = nothing.  I haven't be able to watch anything for 2 weeks.  My laptop and phone have no issue connecting to wireless network or internet.  This is your problem and you need to fix it.

23 REPLIES 23
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku isn’t connecting to wifi

@Barb47 wrote:

Danny,  look at your forum.  There are hundreds of people having the same issue.  Mine just started 2-3 weeks ago.  Never had a wireless or internet connection problem.  Now, ROKU is useless.  I have restarted the the router and roku = nothing.  I haven't be able to watch anything for 2 weeks.  My laptop and phone have no issue connecting to wireless network or internet.  This is your problem and you need to fix it.

Some ISPs who provide the WiFi router have been found to be turning off the 2.4 GHz network and running 5 GHz only. If that's what's happening to you, and if your Roku device only supports 2.4 GHz network, then it's not a Roku issue, but an issue with your router and your ISP for doing that.

To help determine if that's the problem, it would be helpful to know which Roku device you have. If it's one that supports 2.4 GHz only, then the next step would be for you to find out if your network is utilizing the 2.4 GHz band like it used to, or if it's been turned off by someone, perhaps your ISP.

So, go to Settings > System > About and provide the Roku model number. Then let's see where that leads us.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

3810x model   and wifi shows 2.4 Gh from my MacBook

DBDukes

The Streaming Stick+ model 3810 (which is one of the devices I have) supports dual-band, so it will connect to both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. 

You said your MacBook is connecting on your 2.4 GHz network. Do you happen to know which channel your 2.4 GHz network is using? Roku works best on channels 1, 6, or 11. Those channels do not overlap -- 2 overlaps with 6, 5 overlaps with 1, 7 overlaps with 11, etc -- so those are the most commonly used ones. When wireless routers are set to Auto, it will usually pick one of those. It's possible it's picking a crowded channel -- and that can be a nearby network, not just yours -- and that could contribute to the issue.

However, the 3810 Stick+ has one of the better network receivers in a Roku device, so I'd think that generally you wouldn't expect to have issues like you're having. None of my five Roku Stick+ devices (model 3810) experience any such issues, so whatever is happening, it's definitely not a universal problem.

This may take some extra work to resolve. Perhaps @RokuDanny-R@RokuMary-F, or @RokuKariza-D can help. They'll probably ask you for serial number or device ID (or both) to research, so you might want to prepare for that.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

It's channel 20

SN yh0032689859

Devicevid C138C3689859

Thanks for your help...this just started a couple of week ago

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Barb47 wrote:

It's channel 20

20?

That's got to be a typo. 2.4 GHz channels are 1-14, with 1-11 available to consumers in the U.S.

And, if you are able to control that setting, try 1, 6, or 11.

Maybe you're looking at the width of the channel. 22 MHz bandwidth is common, and 20 is close to 22, so I'm shooting in the dark here. We're looking for the actual channel on which it's broadcasting, not the width of the channel.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

It says channel: 11 (2.4ghz, 20 MHz

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Barb47 wrote:

It says channel: 11 (2.4ghz, 20 MHz

If changing it to 1 or 6 doesn't help, it may be that there is something wrong with the Roku. It still could be something interfering with it, but all your testing -- assuming channels 1 or 6 don't resolve -- leads strongly to the Roku device itself.

@RokuDanny-R may need to follow up with you. Again, it's certainly not a universal issue, as none of my devices are impacted. And, despite the large number of people that report issues, considering the huge number of Roku installations, it's a small percentage. Trying to fix blindly may make it worse for a larger number of people. When @RokuDanny-R checks in with you, repeat any steps he requests, and see where it leads.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

Thanks for you help on this.  I don't know how to change the channel from 11 to something else.  I will wait for Danny to see what he says.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Barb47

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend trying the troubleshooting steps provided by @DBDukes to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing. If you are still unable to resolve the issue you are experiencing, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos