Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krimby

Re: Roku is eating up Bandwidth

I have a Roku in the living room, and Roku+ in the bedroom. I was using the standard ATT Smart Home Manager to see what's what, the bedroom Roku+ is listed as having the most "activity" every hour of the day. We don't even use it. I used nmap to watch what it's doing, and it's mostly the router sending a "who's using IP addr so and so", and not getting an answer.

So I think something about the Roku+ is causing constant router messaging to it. I guess that doesn't have anything to do with the internet though, if it's just between the router and the Roku, but I don't know.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku is eating up Bandwidth

Hi @Krimby

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

You can try using our Bandwidth Saver feature which will help avoid going over your monthly data limit by automatically halting streaming after four hours of inactivity on your Roku streaming player or Roku TV. To enable this, please follow the steps below:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Bandwidth saver
  5. Choose On

Note: Some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver.

For more information, you can refer to this Support link: How to use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over your internet data cap

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos