Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Afg
Channel Surfer

Roku express wifi drop. 2.4 b/g/n network and require multi reboots to connect

Recently picked up a Roku express from Amazon shipped by Roku due to my Roku 2 XD no longer being usable (model 3050r). Sent a roku express 3930x unit. Same router, same distance, and the express disconnect while streaming. It can work for hours or refuse to reconnect for 20 minutes or rebooting and trying to move.

modem is an older arris sbg6400 and the connection is 300 Mbps +

on the 2.4 band on channel  6 as it is the least congested. In rural setting.

roku 2 had no issues for 10 years always connected. No firewall issue or blocked ports and steady uninterrupted internet. Have 2 wyze cams that never have connectivity issues on the same network.

this unit is now 3 months old and has provided nothing but headaches. 

what advice can you give as I have in trying to resolve this, rebooted both router and express many times, moved roku and router… 6 feet from each other.

signal strength is 28-33 on average and antenna 1 shows about 65. Noise is at 65dBm on average.

love roku, but this express is not working as it’s supposed to..

advise?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Afg
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku express wifi drop. 2.4 b/g/n network and require multi reboots to connect

From reading others posts. Wanted to clarify the power is via plug provided and it is passed thru a apc ups (battery backup) to prevent power spikes and abnormal power issues.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku express wifi drop. 2.4 b/g/n network and require multi reboots to connect

@Afg

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Arris modems are used by cable companies generally. There have been reports of Express models having problems connecting to these modems if the Mode is set to G/N only. The resolution is to change the Mode setting to B/G/N. Also make sure your channel width is set to 20 MHz, as some have had issues with the 40 MHz setting.  

My personal opinion of the Express is less than stellar. But I've had no issues with any other model, including the Premiere and the new Express 4K (not in the least similar to the Express, just shares the name, which is stupid). 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Afg
Channel Surfer

As I posted in the original post, I. Checked and verified it is set to b/g/n. The arris router is owned by me, so I can access all its internal settings.

the router is not a dual band so it only transmits in the 2.4 range, this is confirmed as wyze cams also on the same router also only use the 2.4 bandwidth.

tracert shows no blockage or redirects that would cause a time out and the roku 2 XD model 3050r in the same location with the same router never had connection issues.

this express SN S008316K6U1E

Will connect and show excellent connection and almost zero error rate but still cut out at random looking connectivity. It will take up to 15 minutes to get it to reconnect after multiple tries.

I have tested multiple locations, using the roku wireless menu verified signal strength when moving and testing and isolated any interference by not moving or turning on anything except the roku and router to isolate possible issues like laptop or desktop interference, including turning off the power supply to the desktop.

I am on a high point and the closest house is 60 feet away.

sometimes I can see the wifi from them on the roku but it’s off and on.

channel 1 and 11 are more congested so I transmit on Channel 6.

I have a wyze can that’s 2.4 ghz and 35 feet away that does not loose connection to the same network. The roku express is sitting under 6 feet away.

Since my roku express is connection and dropping signal on and off it also verified my 2.4. Since the express is not dual band, if I tried to connect it to a 5 ghz network, it would not even see the signal to connect to.

( this is the issue with a lot of single band 2.4 old products and xfinitywifi, as the wifi points on the public portal now only transmit in the 5ghz range. Requiring if you plan on using a roku or 2.4 only equipment while traveling, carrying a mini router that can repeat the signal, taking in the 5ghz and splitting it to 5 and 2.4 and deal with a captive portal page as roku has an issue with connection to a unsecured wireless that opens a confirmation page. For those with that issue and a roku that connects without problems the gl.iNet gl-ar750 works fantastic to resolve using a roku on a hotel with a captive portal or 2.4 ghz security cam.

i do not have running any ad blocking as it is known to cause some issues with roku but may in the future test out a pi-hole.

I wanted to put this all up so you would know steps taken prior to contact as well as installation environment and testing stability protocols.

thanks again everyone.

0 Kudos
Afg
Channel Surfer

Posted a longer reply on the board.

model 3930x - roku express

sn X004000K6U1E

ver 10.5.0 build 4208-ae

uptime 13 hours

device is S008316K6U1E 

router only broadcasts 2.4 (not a dual band router)

tried on channel 6 as it had the least interference, but also tested 1 and 11 and even tried 4 just for fun. Still drops on average every 25 minutes to 3 hours and sometimes in 30 seconds.

tv power timer to power off is turned off as is bandwidth saver. Tv is on a filtered power supply and roku connected to a separate filtered apc ups.

the drop has gotten worse over the past month if use. It had the issues right from unboxing.

there is a separate issue with the Crunchyroll app and it causing random lockup and disconnect with ads, but the above I am reporting occurs on multiple apps (all updated) including Bloomberg, amazon prime, roku, news on, And NHK World, so it’s not dropping due to a single app.

I also swapped the HDMI cable and tested with the same results.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Afg 

Sounds like all your numbers (SNR) from your original posting are showing a pretty good connection between your router and the Roku Express.  Probably meant that your noise is -65dbm rather than 65dbm though.

The Arris sbg6400 has a Qos Setting under its Wireless Multimedia that includes a Power-Saving feature.  By default, this is usually enabled.  Some devices may have trouble re-aquiring the connection as such. (Normally, a good place to start with intermittent device drops with this router).  Aside from checking and reseating the physical connections (the actual coaxial cable conections/splitters, etc), try seeing if modifying the Qos Settings helps. (These prioritize different network traffic demands).  Initially, leave most to default, but disable/turn off the "Power-Saving Support". (https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6400-v1-3-x-Wireless-Multimedia-WM...).  If Qos is enabled, you can actually try just disabling WMM altogether (set to "Off").

You can also try lowering the "Output Power" under the Wireless Settings to see if that eliminates a little bit more noise and still provides you adequate coverage.  It is not necessary to be at 100% in most cases (this should also help to stop seeing neighbor's available connections as well).  @atc98092 has provided you with the other recommended settings of 20mhz bandwidth/channel width and Mode Setting of b/g/n (you can try changing these to g/n or n-only and see if your cameras and Roku can still connect, but suspect your cameras need at least the g mode to be enabled).  With Xfinity in the mix, you probably need the b/g/n all enabled however currently for all devices to be seen.

I think you have pretty much covered all the basics in your troubleshooting.  I think if the above doesn't work, I would try the final step of factory resetting the Arris router. (This should clear out any caches and potential of any corrupted settings.)  (https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6400-v1-3-x-Factory-Reset)

Normally, next step would be to try another router on the network to see if you get similar results, but not always practical.

There is of course, the possibility that the internals of the Roku Express is just not performing properly and defective.  I would probably purchase a new Roku device and see if condition improves.  At least then helps narrow down to whether a device or network issue, especially after exhausting all the above.   

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

From personal experience and many posts here I think the wireless hardware in Express is weak. 

May need to buy a more expensive model to solve WiFi problems. 

Some models allow plugging in a inexpensive USB Ethernet cable dongle for wired connection (there are articles here to say which models support this capability).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
atc98092

@MilesT wrote:

Some models allow plugging in a inexpensive USB Ethernet cable dongle for wired connection (there are articles here to say which models support this capability).

The only devices that support the USB Ethernet adapter are the new Express 4K models and the soundbars. This web site lists the supported devices and the adapters that work on them. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Afg
Channel Surfer

Thanks. Primary and secondary DNS set to google as xfinity dns sometime blocked things.

bandwidth set to 20Mhz already.

lowered power to 75, we shall see how that works.

mode is b/g/n confirmed again.

channel 6 listed as interference level acceptable.

WMM is off and power save support is also off.

As for swapping routers to fix the issue, I have 3 wyze cams, 2 always on and one when I leave.

all 2.4 and all 3 to 4 times distance and multiple walls, and they do not drop.

I have an old laptop that connects at 2.4 wireless, it never drops connection.

the old roku in the same place or 30 feet away, never drops a signal, nor does my iPhone.

if the router was having issues I should see it in other items connected to the network as well.

The express is in the same room as the router at an arm span away. Some have pointed to the express antenna and I also think the product as noted by others builds up heat. I would not be shocked that it’s design causes Thermal noise.

I love roku over the years, but this particular unit tests that.

as for getting a new router, when 99% of other things work on the same router/network, I think that a bit much. Like suggesting if you install a new lightbulb in a home and it blinks and sometimes does not turn on, replace the home wiring first and see if that helps.

I understand that differing hardware may not like each other and one may have a setting that other ignore or negotiate without issue, but so far the only issue seems to be the product.

I am testing with the lowered transmission to 75%.

Thank you all for your input as I do read and test them all, even if I am frustrated.

this brings me back to going into a spaghetti rack room and after 30 minutes of checking the hardware, due to pc’s offline... Noticing someone swapped out a crossover cable and used a cat 6.

0 Kudos