Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drhyphy
Reel Rookie

Roku Express suddenly cannot find my wifi network

Jump to solution

I have had a Roku Express for nearly 2 years and it works great. This afternoon, all of a sudden it lost network connection and now can't find our wifi network; the name just doesn't pop up. All our other devices are working fine.

I have tried all of the following and none worked:
Manually entering it as a private network
Reset the router
Restarted the Roku, both by unplugging and by doing it through the menu
Reset the network settings via advanced settings

I'm at a loss and wondering whether anyone else is having issues

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
glennh03
Streaming Star

Re: Roku express (>1.5y old) suddenly cannot find my wifi network, nothing fixes it

Jump to solution

So Roku CS contacted me and this is what they recommended.  I took these steps - let's see if it helps.  My home network was there and I was able to reconnect with no problem.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for contacting Roku customer support. I understand your message about the network connectivity issue with your Roku device. 

This reported issue might occur when the Roku device is unable to receive adequate network speed. Refreshing the network setup of the Roku device will help in resolving this issue. Please follow the troubleshooting steps below to isolate the issue:

1. Restart the network router
Disconnect the router from the power and connect it back

2. Restart the Roku Tv: Settings->System->Power->System Restart

3. Reset the Roku Tv network settings
Navigate through Settings --> System --> Advanced System Settings --> Network Connection Reset

4. Setup Network
Navigate through Settings -> Network -> Setup Connection -> Wireless Network and look for the network name

5. Update Roku software
Navigate to Settings-->System-->System Update. Select "Check Now" to manually check for updates.

View solution in original post

68 REPLIES 68
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express (>1.5y old) suddenly cannot find my wifi network, nothing fixes it

Jump to solution

Does it find any networks?  When you say "All our other devices" do you mean other Roku devices or non-Roku devices?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
drhyphy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Other networks come up, but not ours that it has been connected to for months. All our other non-Roku devices connect, but not our Roku

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @drhyphy 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Please be advised that your Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. 

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
glennh03
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue.  My Roku Stick is suddenly dropping the internet connection.  EVERY time we turn it on it tells us that it needs connecting.

BUT.  Out home network is fine, other devices (phones, laptops, tablets) are connected to the network, remain connected and are having no issues.

When I go to connect my Roku to the home network it is not shown.  If I reboot router home network will show and I can connect, but only till next time I turn Roku on.  There have been NO changes to my router/wifi settings that Roku has been connected to for months with no issues.

Why is Roku dropping this network and not able to find it?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @glennh03,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

It sounds like your Roku device may be having trouble connecting to your home network. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot Network issues: How to connect your Roku streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet | Official Roku Su...

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device and trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
wwgscott
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I suddenly started having connection problems and appeared to be related to no internet connection

turned out it was the one setting under the advanced settings it has always been on. I turned it off and have not had an issue since either with the 4k box or the ulta lt

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi there @wwgscott,

We appreciate your update.

We're glad that you are able to connect to your home network. Please if you need additional help and we’ll follow up to continue assisting you.

Thanks for posting again in Community and for using our services.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
glennh03
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Do you remember which setting?

Thanks

Glenn

0 Kudos
glennh03
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Finds many other networks, just not ours.

Yes, our other non-Roku devices such as laptops, phones, thermostats, cameras etc.

0 Kudos