Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alanthebigguy
Channel Surfer

Roku disconnected from internet last week

Last week my Roku Ultra disconnected from the wireless internet.  I have tried resetting the Roku, reset the router, replaced the batteries in the remote, and reset the roku to the factory settings.  I have Spectum internet.  All my other wireless devices stay connected.  My start date is 12/25/2019.  Is my roku under warrantee?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Re: Roku disconnected from internet last week

Your Roku Ultra is only covered for 1 full year like most electronic devices. Since it is an Ultra did you try the Ethernet port? If the ethernet port does not work either then there is definitely a hardware issue. 

0 Kudos
Alanthebigguy
Channel Surfer

The Roku is 50 ft from my router, so it may be impossible to use the ethernet port.  I will check tomorrow.

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

A Roku Ultra is not big.  It can fit in your hand. You can disconnect it from your TV and bring it over to the modem. If the network card on the Ultra is working you will see blinking lights at the Ethernet port. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Alanthebigguy 

You can try connecting your Ultra to a mobile hotspot if available to you. (normally a good troubleshooting step to test wireless connection capability - first try the 2.4ghz, then 5ghz of hotspot).

Otherwise, you can verify that your router/network is still setup properly to recognize your Roku device.  Since the Ultra is dual band, you should be able to connect on either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz bands of your network.  May have to verify that your 2.4ghz band has not been disabled by your ISP.  This is especially so if you cannot connect to your 5ghz  -- without 5ghz capability, no where else left to go if 2.4ghz is not configured properly.

------

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

------

Feel free to post back with an update.  Include your Roku model number and router model number.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Alanthebigguy
Channel Surfer

The restart did not work on wifi.  I purchased a wifi extender and tried the cable connection and the wfif extension on the existing wifi and the extended wifi.  I have prucased a new Roku Express 4 K+.  I will hook it up today.

Is there a place where I can send the non-working roku for reconditioning?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Roku's are not refurbished through Roku. It's not worth the money. See if you can find something on Google but more or less smash it and throw it out. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Alanthebigguy 

Well, not real sure the Ultra is non-working yet until you setup the new Express 4k+.

Additionally, the Ultra is ethernet capable, so by attaching an ethernet cable between the Roku Ultra and your router, you will/should negate any wireless (wifi) issues the Ultra may be having.

---

I see that you did some restarting of the devices and extenders, but have you verified the settings mentioned in the above posting before concluding the Ultra has failed. (entirely possible it is a device failure, but without verifying network settings, just guessing.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Alanthebigguy
Channel Surfer

The Ultra and the new Express will not connect.  I tried the Ultra on a wired connection through an extender.  The new Express 4K+ also will not connect on the wireless.  I use a tp-link mdem router and extender.  Do I take the Express 4K+ back to Walmart for a refund?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

It’s obvious the problem is with your internet. Especially if 2 Roku devices won’t connect. Go back and follow the instructions posted. Easiest thing to do is to bring the Roku Express 4K you just bought to someone else’s home. Hook it to there TV and WiFi. If it works then the issue is your internet setup. Do you have other devices on your Wi-Fi?. Phone? Laptop? Gaming system?

0 Kudos