Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JessicaLaneG
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku connected to WiFi, but the device can't be found on my network

@AvsGunnar BGW320-505.

Funny enough we had Google Fiber for years until AT&T offered a better deal. I've had nothing but problems with this wifi since it was installed last summer. Just waiting out our year contract before I can switch back to Google. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

That must have been Att Smart Home Manager App GUI then.  We had problems with this particular router with another user, but that was pertaining to the automatic steering of the 5ghz band and a firmware update that had been released at the time.  I will look into this router settings for 2.4ghz and see if anything jumps out.  It seems again like a bug though, at first glance, (or hidden) since it is operational but isn't showing up under devices.  Can you access router gui via the laptop login in a browser.  Same results that app is showing regarding connected devices? Also, are your other devices showing the same IP gateway as the Express, namely 192.168.1.xxx? The xxx should be different, but those other numbers should be showing same for your connected devices. 

If you already changed the settings from within the Roku from initial post, have to track down what is blocking the Mobile App from directly connecting to the Express IP at one point assigned to it by this router.  Will post back when I discover something or post back if something changes.

I would almost try an extended shutdown (5 min or so) of the router as a troubleshooting step also. Power it off and disconnect power plug.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JessicaLaneG
Channel Surfer

I did log in with my laptop a few hours ago to try to ping the Express (wasn't found). But, yes, same results on the AT&T website. I even tried talking with AT&T customer support which was no help. (Told me to restart both the device and the router after I said several times the troubleshooting steps I had already taken, including restarts ).

It also is not showing up on the "previously connected" list of devices and there is no real "settings" option to tinker around in. However it was "visible" up until two days ago. (Not even sure what happened, just woke up and several devices were no longer connected including a Smart Plug and both the Roku's. But as mentioned, a reset of the router fixed all but the Express). 

All IP addresses are the same, except those last 3 as you said.

I appreciate your help with this. I'll try a longer unplug in the morning and see what happens. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

If the ping failed, then there's no question that the router is not letting wireless devices see each other. Somewhere in the router, likely under the security settings, there's something turned on that is hiding devices from each other. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Other than a few users experiencing a mis-identified wireless device in the app, (an IP identifying as a camera when actually a vacuum or an access point) or a device missing in the app (usually mobile phone) but visible in the admin login (similar to what we checked before), only other issue reported was complete lack of any devices showing in app (not your problem).

Basic troubleshooting was to restart the router, any and all seperate access points, extenders, other connected routers, and any problem connected devices and to close/restart Smart app. (restart phone)

The BGW320-505 is a heavily controlled ISP auto-managed router which is why you aren't seeing many Settings Options even in admin.  Unfortunately, seems like they just rolled out a new firmware update to 2.11.5 from 2.10.6 so not sure which one you are using.  Started around March 10.  Only real known new issue cause by update is a port-forwarding problem so far.

Found this a bit amusing.... (I'm sure not to you, though)

Jessica (Roku forum): Not even sure what happened, just woke up and several devices were no longer connected including a Smart Plug and both the Roku's.

TonyDi (Att forum guru): ... updates occur when you least expect it.....or when AT&T has broken something and wants all of us to have some fun. 😉  ...So now they usually come in the middle of the night but on a rolling distribution schedule (so they don't break everyone all at once!).

The above is what happened to forum member @patricka02 when they disabled the Nokia BGW320-505 ability to connect to the 5ghz band for his Roku stick with a December update.  I am assuming your Ultra is probably using your 2.4ghz band since you are able to connect at all and this latest firmware update did not seem to revert the manual band configuration function. (let me know if this is not the case with your Ultra)

I think I would first try seeing if maybe just the Express and the router maybe just had a DHCP server miscommunication. (this is responsible for the private IP allocation).  Since you can't release the IP because it is not showing in admin, you will need to navigate in the Express settings and Reset Network.

Settings...System..Advanced System Settings...Network Connection Reset...Reset Connection

Then do another reboot of your router, and a System Restart of the Express. 

Important...Cross your fingers and hope you can connect the Express back to your router and becomes visible again.  Hate for you to lose the somewhat "working" connection you have now.

Since you probably only have 2.4gzh function on this router for your Rokus, I would also verify under your Wireless Settings that you have a manual channel assigned,(1,6,or11) not Auto, and select 20mhz as your bandwidth. (should help with dropped connections). 

In order to address @atc98092 suggestion, can also navigate to your Firewall tab and see if anything has changed.  Under Status, the defaults should all be to Off including Advanced Firewall. (IP Passthru, NAT server, Firewall advanced).  The only thing On should be Packet Filter.  [Unless you made specific changes, these are defaults]  Additional Security Options tab also located here in Firewall.

The smart app is going to allow you to observe and control some features of the connected devices, but the admin panel is going to allow you to make more substantial changes to settings.

See if any of the above helps if you have not yet resolved the issue.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JessicaLaneG
Channel Surfer

Apologies for the late reply! A few restarts, resets, unplugs, and deleting the Roku Remote app later and the Express still wasn't found.

The next day, everything was back to normal. Both the Ultra and Express are showing on the network and on the app.

Maybe AT&T updated/refreshed everything again?

Either way, all is good now. Thank you so much for the help and suggestions! Should this happen again, I'll reply but I think it was an AT&T updating overnight as you mentioned. 

Twodolphns
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem with my express, kind of. Sometimes the devices will show on my network, sometimes it won't. I can be watching it, and out of the blue, device can not be found on network. It's very frustrating 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Twodolphns

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What wireless frequency is your router broadcasting? Who is your ISP (internet service provider)?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos