Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

@schexc wrote:

I believe it's already been mentioned in other post(s), but in my experience too, the ROKU device will just follow and attach to the nwe channel.

Is that when using a wired connection?  If you're using Wi-Fi, of course it will follow - the remote will always use the same channel as the Wi-Fi connection.  When wired the remote should shouldn't have any connection to the channel used by the AP.  That's why I suggested changing the AP's channel to see what happens.  If the remote follows, then I have another question/suggestion.  If it doesn't, then problem solved.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RMinNJ
Channel Surfer

This is what I did...

Wired up the Ultra Premier + to ethernoet and got that working.

Went into wireless settings and deleted all SSIDs and wireless info it knew about my router.

Restarted the Premiere+

It now hammers channnel 36 with its signal for the remote.     It is still an extremely strong signal.. I can use the remote upstairs several rooms away (why would anyone want to do this?).

I know if one is using wireless it has to use the same channel as its wifi..  The amazon firesticks do this also.   I cant say I agree with this   But the Roku Premiere+ signal is so strong.   I would still like to reduce its signal..  The only reason I can think for such strong signal is so one's device can see the Roku many rooms away for casting?

ChefZ
Streaming Star

The channel selection of these devices for wifi direct can be variable, and change. It's frustrating when it changes on you and starts interference. You literally don't know the cause unless you scan networks in your home regularly. I put in a feature request.

Please give it kudos to draw attention. The support team is not helpful and truly doesn't understand the problem.

schexc
Streaming Star

Every time I complete a ROKU survey for feedback, I submit this request. Like you said, their support team doesn't care and continues to do nothing about it.

0 Kudos

I bought the Roku Ultra more than a month ago, I had not been having problems of any kind until I changed my notebook, I had a Dell Inspirion for about 4 years and the company where I work changed it for the latest model (Inspirion 5510). With this new notebook I began to have disconnection problems, using the Pingplotter program and pinging the router (192.168.1.1) I notice that I have packet loss so I contact the company's IT team, after carry out some verifications and considering that this problem was not present with the previous notebook (also dell) nor do I have it with my other devices, they proceed to change it for the same model. After a few hours of using it, the problem reoccurs (it is not something that happens constantly) to what I understood could be a general problem of the model, after testing with the new dell and an MSI that I have, both in the In the same place, both pinging the router I see that the MSI is not affected and investigating the networks I see the hidden network generated by the Roku.

I understand that the Roku design is not good, the idea is good but it is not carried out correctly, but since I have no problems with the rest of my devices, it could be a combination of the interference generated by the Roku plus a wifi board very susceptible to interference?

The Wifi board that the dell has is Intel (R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

Another thing that I also tried is to connect my notebook to the 5Ghz network that obviously uses a totally different channel but the interference continued, so that also makes me think that the Wi-Fi board is not working correctly since it is being interfered with. in the 2.4 network and a device connected to the 5Ghz network is affected

Does it happen to you with all devices? What wifi board do you have?

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

You might be right that some HW and firmware is more sensitive than others. It's really a combination of proximity to the Roku causing interference and the HW sensitivity to interference.

Most of our devices were affected including:

- Ecobee thermostats

- Acer Chromebook

- surface pro 6

- OnePlus 6t and 7t

- smart things hub

- Samsung Galaxy tablet

- Kindle fire hd 8

- Sony Bravia tvs

- the Roku device itself (for the internet connection)

- Nintendo switch

... Too many devices to research the specific HW boards. But I'll say that some were significantly degraded and some were completely unusable (surface pro, ecobees, Bravia smart tvs, Acer Chromebook). Again a combination of proximity and HW sensitivity to interference

The only reliable fix was wrapping my 3 rokus with faraday fabric to block the signal within the device and hardwire to Ethernet

0 Kudos
pB306

I am not a techie, but am wondering if it might help to use a VPN. Would the Roku still be able to find your channel?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@pB306

Thanks for the post.

As per the Community guidelines:

Discussions regarding any usage of VPNs to circumvent established regional broadcast rules or limitations are not allowed in the Community. Any topic or comment posted regarding the use of a VPN, or any circumvention of applicable limitations, will be removed at Roku's discretion.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

Using a VPN, or not, has nothing to do with this thread...

0 Kudos
ooSux
Binge Watcher

Roku is such a $hitty company. 
Removing the ability to turn off wifi on devices with wired connections..

Using amped up signal to block other devices and promote itself...

FCC unsupported use of Squelching features..

Censoring honest input in chat..
Have you tried typing the correct spelling for lawsoot in this chat?