Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChefZ
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

I would assume 'no' to that. Roku rolled out updates to at least my older Roku ultra devices...it now no longer allows me to enter the secret menu I need to disable the radios completely.

I'm assuming in the newer devices they either shipped with that firmware or they have been similarly updated in the last few months.

I doubt they've fixed the interference bug, but at least with putting all my devices on ethernet I haven't had had any big problems in a several months.

They really should be using bluetooth or a mesh networking protocol to avoid these conflicts on limited wifi bandwidth frequencies. 

ooSux
Binge Watcher

I wish somebody on this forum was an ambitious laawyerr.  We need a Klass Aktion LawSoot to get the option to turn wireless completely off returned to the devices.  I have 3 Rokus sitting powered off collecting dust because I can no longer turn off the radios.

0 Kudos
schexc
Streaming Star

We all are in agreement. The fact that it broadcasts as an access point, adds interference to the Wifi network. It would be nice if they could at least turn the broadcast off automatically, if one is hard wired to their device.

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

So a few interesting notes on this:

- one of my Roku ultra devices hasn't updated since August 8, which is great because I can still disable the broadcast signal in the secret menu. My other devices have a last update of Oct 30, and I cannot disable wifi direct for the remote, or get the voice remote to work as an IR remote anymore!

- I've noticed if you wire the Ultra devices into ethernet they seem to always grab channel 36 for wifi direct. So avoid that channel in your home router if using hardwired ethernet

- for now I wrap my devices in heavy foil to block the signal as much as possible. I've ordered faraday fabric to do a better job of this.

Pretty ridiculous right? If I hear back from any notes I've sent out about ...options... Then maybe there are other solutions

schexc
Streaming Star

In the systems that I've installed, including networks with ROKU devices, I have found that if you change the broadcast WIFI channel, the ROKU device will simply move over to it, creating the same interference. If you can shield the broadcast signal strength, like you're attempting to do, it would be an option, if that's the only alternative. 

0 Kudos
walt3k
Binge Watcher

As of yesterday Nov 13 2020 they have removed the p2p down option in the secret menu. I am totally hosed now...it was still working for me yesterday before the update.

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

It's pretty much the kiss of death if you need to use wifi for your roku's internet connectivity.

I've mitigated the problem by wrapping my 3 devices in 2 layers of faraday fabric ($24 on amazon), leaving the front open. My wifi voice remote still connects as long as I'm in front of the TV and nearby, which is all I care about.

See the attached pic. Again, not a solution if you can't hard wire ethernetIMG_20201107_152615.jpg

RMinNJ
Channel Surfer

I see that interference option is removed now on my Premier+.  I wish if they left it or would let us turn down the 5Ghz access point. 

How or where do we request they put it it back 

What exact faraday fabric did you get?  Is it working ?    Does one see the AP signal level go down in the wireless hidden screen (that is now rather uselss).

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

I bought this, but I'm sure any manufactured product will do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0855KQ36Z/ref=cm_sw_r_sm_apa_fabc_R9C8FbSCCYRY8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As for testing it's effectiveness, you can use a wifi scanning app on your mobile (like Wifi Analyzer for Android). What you want to confirm is a strong drop in the roku signal in spots in your home that were disrupted by the roku devices. You do this by measuring in the same spot(s) before and after wrapping the device.  If you weaken or eliminate the roku wifi broadcast you will see significant improvement in wifi speed on your home devices.

RMinNJ
Channel Surfer

Thanks a bunch.  Yes I was putting varies things around it and using the wifi analyzer app... I was shocked to see how strong the wifi signal is from my Roku Premiere+  ...it was like a second wifi router.

Did that fabric really cut down its 5Ghz broadcast significantly ?

Since Im connected via ethernet cable but can't turn off the wifi (since the remote uses it) and the wireless options have been eliminated.. what I did was reset the network connection from the network menu.  This reboots the Roku and it forgets all wifi passwords.   When it came up this wifi broadcast was on a much lower channel on the 5Ghz away from my routers wifi.    No idea if the roku is power cycled again if it will decide. to pick the same channel as my router and its 5Ghz SSID.       That was what it was doing before it seemed.

Any idea how to file a bug report with Roku?

0 Kudos