Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ooSux
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interference menu option

"...I think the only way to escalate this is with a class action suit.."
Amen.

Roku is deliberately and knowingly harming its customers.

I will definitely participate if someone starts the Class Action.

schexc
Streaming Star

Could you elaborate more on the secret menu and the dongles you purchased?

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

Sure - the secret menu for wifi I believe is hit Home five times, then up, down, up, down, up

Within that menu I can do stuff like disassociate the AP, turn the RF support off, etc.

As for the dongles, I bought 3 of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OIB6XI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

They are cheap, and only support 2.4ghz ... but better than having 3 roku's generating massive interference

0 Kudos
BenGinders
Reel Rookie

This would be great but unfortunately I am from the UK where Class Action is not allowed.

I will however be raising to trading standards in the UK if the solutions I have put to them are not agreed/adhered to.

Jamaster

I have a Firestick and Roku hooked up to the same tv.  The Ultra interferes with the Firestick so bad it loses connection to the router.  When I remove the Ultra and replace it with an Express everything is fine.  Maybe because an Express would be lower power.

0 Kudos
schexc
Streaming Star

But even if the Ultra is hard wired to Ethernet, it still broadcasts as an AP for the remote control. This is the interference that is running on the WiFi side of the network. I will look in the secret menu, to see of it can be defeated. I had read another post that this was available in the older models, but not the current ones, so I never looked for myself.

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

I can't speak for newer devices / firmware, but to keep the Roku ultra from generating wifi interference 

1) I use an Ethernet to WiFi dongle as I mentioned before...setting Roku device to use Ethernet

2) in advanced system settings I disable Device Connect. I also disable Control By Mobile apps just in case

3) access the secret menu the way I described before. I go to Resets. I set P2P down and I disassociate AP.

Once I do all that the wifi signal created by the Roku device turns off and seems to stay off

0 Kudos
shawnandashleyk
Reel Rookie

I do not want to go through reading every single reply, but I work for an ISP and we have seen an increasing number of customers having issues of buffering when trying to stream videos (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, etc.). They are on a gigabit fiber connection, so should not have any issues whatsoever. The customers that have our managed WiFi service call and we see Roku and Amazon show up as wireless interference CONSTANTLY. I do not understand why Roku or Amazon have to use WiFi direct instead of Bluetooth or some other means of communication (seems to be with the enhanced remotes that have voice control).

I would love to have an explanation to give my customers because they constantly think it is our fault that they can't stream videos on their gigabit connection. Um, no - unplug your Roku or Amazon and it works just fine and none of your devices have issues. I agree that the device needs to have some other way to communicate between the remote and the Roku "hub." 

We also have this WiFi interference issue with the "WiFi direct" on printers - for the same exact reason...at least you can turn it off on a printer.

shawnandashleyk
Reel Rookie

From my experience, you can't turn direct connection off for Roku Ultra because of the voice controlled remote. It won't allow it, which is a bummer because I don't even use that feature.

0 Kudos
schexc
Streaming Star

Does anyone know if you can defeat this issue with the newest ROKU Ultra, the one that supports Atmos? I'd replace all of my players is it were true.

0 Kudos