Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theoutlawbiker
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra keeps turning on

Jump to solution

Hello!

Just bought my first Roku (Roku Ultra box w/ remote)! Loving it except that it turns itself on after I turn it off. It doesn’t turn on the tv. Just the Roku box. Any ideas how to fix it? I’ve tried restarting it as well as unplugging it/plugging it back in. 

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra keeps turning on

Jump to solution

Roku devices never really turn off.  That power button on the remote is strictly for the TV.  There is a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power that honestly doesn't save all that much power and seems to be more trouble than it's worth.  The light on the front is supposed to turn off when the screensaver activates or it enters "power saving" mode, but I'd say the light is pretty unreliable.  There's been plenty of complaints similar to yours since that "power saving" option was added not too long ago.  As long as it's not turning on the TV or presenting some other issue, you'd be better off forgetting about it than waiting for Roku to get it figured out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku devices never really turn off.  That power button on the remote is strictly for the TV.  There is a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power that honestly doesn't save all that much power and seems to be more trouble than it's worth.  The light on the front is supposed to turn off when the screensaver activates or it enters "power saving" mode, but I'd say the light is pretty unreliable.  There's been plenty of complaints similar to yours since that "power saving" option was added not too long ago.  As long as it's not turning on the TV or presenting some other issue, you'd be better off forgetting about it than waiting for Roku to get it figured out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
theoutlawbiker
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, renojim! What a super helpful response. I’ll consider this problem “solved”! 👍

0 Kudos
mbjim

Re: Roku Ultra turns on my TV after I turn it off

Jump to solution

Our Roku Ultra appears to be turning on our TV at odd hours even after we have switched from Roku back to our cable service before turning off our TV. Could it be because the remote is programed to control certain functions, such as on/off and volume control?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra turns on my TV after I turn it off

Jump to solution

Hi @mbjim,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue with the Roku Ultra that keeps turning on your TV. We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• When did this issue first start occurring?
  • How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
  • Have you tried the steps posted by @renojim above to see if that resolves the issue?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos