Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kodemonkee
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra - Geo Location Wrong

Jump to solution

I recently moved into a new house where I have Verizon LTE for home internet.  I live in central Ohio.  When I use a laptop connected to Verizon LTE to get my current location, Google correctly tells me it's central Ohio.  When I connect my Roku Ultra to the same Verizon LTE service, the Roku thinks it's in Cleveland.

This is affecting things like the local ABC, CBS, Fox affiliate stations in YouTube TV.

How can I un-confuse my Roku Ultra?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra - Geo Location Wrong

Jump to solution

@kodemonkee 

The Roku Ultra gets its information from your ISP. Some apps or functions may use Google DNS, I believe. Roku devices get the information from one of those sources.

Apps such as YouTube TV have settings based on your Google YouTube TV account. Check the settings there. You'll probably need to your a browser to do that. You won't do that within the YouTube TV app.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@kodemonkee 

The Roku Ultra gets its information from your ISP. Some apps or functions may use Google DNS, I believe. Roku devices get the information from one of those sources.

Apps such as YouTube TV have settings based on your Google YouTube TV account. Check the settings there. You'll probably need to your a browser to do that. You won't do that within the YouTube TV app.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
kodemonkee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

Thank you.  I thought that too, however when I Googled my location from a laptop connected to the same wifi, it correctly reported my Central Ohio location.

To resolve this for YouTube TV, I contacted their phone support team and they walked me through helping nudge YouTube TV to the correct area by having it sync with my mobile device.  

Kind regards.

0 Kudos