Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pba321
Reel Rookie

Roku Express will not connect to internet with T-mobile hotspot

Jump to solution

I recently received a new T-mobile hotspot (Franklin T9) to replace a Sprint Coolpad that will be obsolete shortly since the networks are merging.  All my connected devices work with the new hotspot (phones, tablets, computers) but my Roku Express and Roku TV do not.  The Roku devices connect to the new hotspot but can't connect to the internet - error 009.  They still work fine on the Sprint hotspot.  I checked the settings of the new hotspot and they match the settings on the old one (2.4GHZ, WPA2, etc.).  Reset back to factory settings - hotspot and Rokus - doesn't help.  All have the latest updates.  Sprint/T-Mobile tech support says it's not the network, Franklin says it's not the hotspot, Roku says it's not the Rokus.  Since everything else works, my vote is Roku firmware that is common to both the Express and TV.  Anyone out there experiencing anything like this?  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pba321
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express will not connect to internet with T-mobile hotspot

Jump to solution

The Sprint network just deactivated my old Coolpad Hotspot and a few minutes later the new replacement T-Mobile Hotspot began to work with the Roku device.  Must have been a network protocol that prevents a single account from using multiple hotspots.  Whatever the reason it works now. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The base model Roku Express you have only works on the 2.4GHz b,g,n. You need to configure your equipment to work on b,g,n

@AvsGunnar 

0 Kudos
pba321
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That's how it's set up.

0 Kudos
ArjFam

Jump to solution

We have the EXACT same problem. Don’t know what to try next. 

0 Kudos
pba321
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The Sprint network just deactivated my old Coolpad Hotspot and a few minutes later the new replacement T-Mobile Hotspot began to work with the Roku device.  Must have been a network protocol that prevents a single account from using multiple hotspots.  Whatever the reason it works now. 

0 Kudos
khow

Jump to solution

I am also in the EXACT same situation. Switched from Coolpad to Franklin and it's been working great but all of a sudden yesterday night my Roku TV and Express won't connect. Tried network reset on TV and factory reset on hotspot but no luck. Good to hear others are in the same situation, I guess I'll just give it time for now and hope it works itself out like yours!

0 Kudos
FindTheNetwork
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I find myself in the same exact boat.  All was working fine until late yesterday afternoon.  Now my Roku is unable to connect to my T-mobile hotspot.  Has anyone found a solution to this problem.  I have spent a few hours resetting and reconfiguring everything on my network only to get the same result.  Meanwhile my old Sprint Hotspot is still able to connect to the Roku just fine.

0 Kudos
FindTheNetwork
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have found a solution for me that has worked for the last 24 hours or so, hopefully it will prove to work long term.

I had been looking at all my settings with a fine tooth comb and took a closer look at the APN settings on my hotspot.  I noticed that the PDP Type was set to IPv4v6.  I thought that in the past it might have only been IPv4.  I decided to take a try and change it back.  I was not able to edit the currently used APN setting.  Therefore, I simply created a new APN.  I kept everything the same except for the PDP Type.  The PDP Type was set to IPv4.  Make sure to select this new APN as your active APN.

After saving the settings I was able to connect the hotspot to the Roku as well as a few other devices that were having problems the last few days.  Hopefully this will prove to work long term.  I thought I would share in hope that my stress would help someone avoid stress of their own!  

Good Luck.

Signman

Jump to solution

Use laptop to log into router, make a new apn, copy the fast.t-mobile apn except make it ipv4 only. Worked for us!

pba321
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks!  I'll keep that info handy.  Right now my new T-Mobile hotspot is working with IPv4v6 apn.  It began working within minutes after my old hotspot was disconnected by Sprint so I think in my case is was the service provider (Mobile Citizen) or Sprint/Tmobile.  If it stops working I'll definitely try a modified apn.

0 Kudos