Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AshgarS
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express+ suddenly won't connect to internet

From the looks of this discussion, Roku has done this to its customers on purpose. Time to find another product.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@AshgarS wrote:

From the looks of this discussion, Roku has done this to its customers on purpose. Time to find another product.

A multiplatform streaming strategy is a good one.

That said, why dont you go ahead and provide the information that @RokuDanny-R  asked for a few posts up so that he and the firmware engineering team can try and help you/address the issue?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@AshgarS

Thanks for the posts.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, please feel free to let us know and we can pass along your information to our Support team for further assistance.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
antigone16
Binge Watcher

@AvsGunnar  and @RokuDanny-R 

My new 4K+ connected easy peasy just now. No fuss, no muss.

The SN of my old Express+ (which was 1 year and 2 months old) is C5395109177

Twylasue13

It cannot be a coincidence that all of a sudden perfectly functioning Roku devices on exactly same setup are SUDDENLY not connecting??!!! 

It can also not be a coincidence that Spectrum disallowed the Roku for some mysterious reason? Now it appears there are issues, no matter who the carrier??

Is Roku trying get us to buy other products? Let me assure you, I will move away from Roku as this is on both TVs now?! 24 hours with no tv service.

it is only the internet connection and Roku stating it is slow speed? Carrier has been here modem is fine???

All of these tests you are telling people to do in “Programming” speak is nit the answer!!!

0 Kudos
Twylasue13

You just stated he didn’t do anything different and if so how is Roku now looking for a different channel?? Not logical?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Twylasue13 

Your Roku devices are connected to your router.  Your router does a whole bunch of things invisible to you in order to handle network and internet traffic determined by its settings.  Most routers are set with default "Automatic" settings that work for "most" network setups.  One of these automatic settings is the wireless channel selection for the different network bands of 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.  If the router senses too much interference or congestion, the router will automatically change its channel to a less congested channel.  Some routers can use channels 1-14 on the 2.4ghz band and channels 36-165 on the 5ghz band.

Roku can only use 1-11 on the 2.4ghz band and channels 36-48 (low band) and 149-161 (high band) on the 5ghz band.  If your router uses any other channel automatically, then the Roku can no longer see or operate on the network and will drop connection. (This is not unique to Roku as other streaming devices use similar protocols.)   The Roku is not seeking a different channel, the router is changing to a channel likely not supported by the Roku device.  Granted, some report Rokus experience more disconnections than others, could certainly be, but others experience very little problems.

Regarding the Spectrum ISP issue, changing the DNS address to Google Public DNS servers is best route to eliminate as culprit since some users are experiencing DNS connection issues and Ping testing is showing them slow to respond again, and being unresponsive, this weekend similar to last weekend.

The only way to determine if it is a Roku device issue or network issue is to troubleshoot.  If you do not wish to troubleshoot using the guidance above, then simply send provide your serial number to @RokuDanny-R .  Who knows, maybe a firmware issue that can be resolved.  Additionally, many routers are now being sold that limit the end-user/purchaser from changing the settings, in an attempt to become more "Plug and Play".  In this event, you get what you get.  If a device isn't compatible with the router pre-configurations, it isn't going to work.  This is not your case as yours previously worked, and probably just have to make some manual configurations or try restarting your router a few times and try to cycle the router to a wireless channel Roku can see.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
AshgarS
Reel Rookie

it must also be a coincidence that perfectly working Roku devices that "suddenly" don't connect and cant see ANY networks including all neighbors. (I previously could see a dozen or more, now nothing) and all of this happened a day after the last "update" I smell a giant rat

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@AshgarS 

I have have had many "perfectly working" computers and routers that worked the night before cease to operate the next morning for many reasons (hard drives, power supplies, graphics boards, etc).  Nature of the beast with electronics.  They always work before they break.

I see you provided the info requested by @RokuDanny-R .  If you wish to troubleshoot your issue, post back with your router model number and the steps you have taken and are seeing. (error codes, what your wireless channel is set to etc) as requested by Danny in his posting to you.  If you provide the info and do the verifications, may be able to help solve your issue.  If you do not wish to troubleshoot or provide the info, then will have to wait for the Roku support team to address your issue.

AvsGunnar

@Plj 

Came across a few different threads you posted in today.  Each of them had either different or additional info and different devices in them.

Since most of the troubleshooting is pretty complete here, please post your full issue description with your all your Roku model numbers and your router model number.  Since one post mentioned your Cox Cable internet was out for a bit, good starting point there since it has affected all your devices.  Post the error codes you are seeing on each device so we can see if one common problem or a different problem affecting the different devices differently.

The more detailed your posting in one thread, the better the Community can help.