Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: [Express 39000] Unable to connect to Wifi

Jump to solution

@aoberholzer--

There are a couple of network connection problems recently being reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers, but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

This may not be your problem but they are well worth looking into.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CANNOT CONNECT
      Some router updates (reported for Xfinity and Cox but there could be others) have changed the router's security setting from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n security.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
      Some routers have had their 2.4 GHz wifi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single band wifi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models) as well as many other single band devices can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > Restart) will allow the connection to be reestablished.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
fartwaddle

Re: Roku Express suddenly will not connect to the internet

Jump to solution

I'm a 54 year old grandparent, and after quite a bit of googling, searching, and trying, I was able to fix our Cox router so our Roku can work again. Can I tell you exactly what I did? LOL! I might be able to do it again, but it will still take time. I tried so many things it's hard to remember what finally worked! A lot of my IT fixes are like that. I screen shot what I changed and where I found it: After logging into our Gateway modem (Cox), here's the path  Gateway>Connection>Status

If I can figure this out, you can too

Hope this helps someone

Tesse
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Express suddenly will not connect to the internet

Jump to solution
Karlmalone
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku isn’t connecting to wifi

Jump to solution

This is my issue.  I can connect to phone hot spot but not my home wifi.  I can see the router name in the list which says it is excellent signal strength but when I try to connect it fails  I have a 3900x Roku Express. My router is Xfinity and all my other devices work. This started  since the update. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Roku isn’t connecting to wifi

Jump to solution

@Karlmaloneand @Ophie01 , try these instructions for how to change the wireless mode:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi

You want to set it to b/g/n.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sheppas81
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express on Channel 1 not connecting to Xfinity Internet Essentials

Jump to solution

Thank you! It worked! I was about to trash my Roku! Xfinity said it was my Roku device, until I argued by reading the question and your solution. I had to create a 2.4 GHz network, which I guess is what you meant by switching back to 802.11 b/g/n.  Agent No. 3 understood the issue and the fix, and walked me right thru it (compared to Nos. 2 & 3 who answered my "do you understand" by thanking and repeating my name 5 times while insisting the only fix was restart router).

Bumbershoot
Reel Rookie

My Roku device is unable to connect to the wireless network.

Jump to solution

I received the error message "Unable to connect to wireless network" with Error Code 014.30. The message suggests to restart the router and the Roku player. However, the router is not the issue because other devices connect, and multiple attempts to restart the Roku device did not resolve the issue. I understand that Roku is offering a software rollback available for issues caused by a recent update, but it is not possible to implement it without connecting to the internet.

atc98092

Re: My Roku device is unable to connect to the wireless network.

Jump to solution

First, who is your ISP? If it's a cable company, they might have made a change in your router that affects Roku connections. Especially if it's Comcast. Under the 2.4 GHz radio, there is a Mode setting. Your ISP may have it set to G/N. If you can access the setting, change it to B/G/N. If you can't access it, ask your ISP to change it. 

Sometimes when you have a network issue, you can connect your Roku to a mobile hotspot and get the update in that way. If you have a smartphone, it likely offers a hotspot function. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RikCamp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I would also like to add that since the latest update, roku won't connect via wifi. Take note that I do live in a studio apt that offers both free and premium wifi (that you have to pay). I do find it annoying I was watching Roku just fine with all the apps working properly and then the next day their wireless connections doesn't work. The wifi works on my phone and laptop just fine. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

@RikCamp see my response above. It's entirely possible your issue is related to the Roku OS, but it's also possible that your ISP changed a setting in the router that impacts a Roku connection. Sure, other devices connect fine, but that particular setting I mentioned could be the issue. Also, you didn't state what model Roku you have, if you're connecting to a 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz access point. It could make a difference.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos