Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hgross101

Re: Roku Express suddenly will not connect to the internet

Jump to solution

I got the address from the bottom of my cox router. And figured out they changed it to where it helps my wifi better but not all devices will work because their not up to speed. I changed it and it finally works after 2 weeks. Thank you so much for posting this. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I was able to change the 2.4 to connect to B,G,N. 

Now i'm able to connect the Roku Express with no issues. 

I don't know how long it well last, but for now it's works. 

Remotewillie 

0 Kudos
dowill
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

HMMMMM, Today I went to my modem to check all of the settings that I had already checked previously. I had done this to make sure everything matched the suggestions I received in the last couple of weeks, They were all correct and I HAVE CHANGED NOTHING. I had reset the roku so I was back to time 0 and it would not connect to my modem--a centurylink,BTW--although my tv and Amazon would. I then went to the roku and for kick and tricks put in the password one more time and it connected and now works just like it did two weeks ago, I HAVE DONE NOTHING AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THIS WORKS. I would really like an explanation from roku as to what is happening!!!!

0 Kudos
Waterlady

Jump to solution

I fixed this! You need the xfinity app that has a house with the WiFi symbol in it. In the app, go to connect. Click on your 2.2 GHz network. Go to advanced settings. Select 2.2 and 5 GHz WiFi. Under the 2.4 GHz WiFi, click edit. WiFi mode will be 802.11 b,g. To change this, click on the down arrow in WiFi Mode and select 802.11 b,g,n. Click update. I had to do this twice; the first time it came back with a “something went wrong” error message. I tried it again and it said it was updated. Then I used my Roku remote and it worked like it did before. Yay! Thought my Roku was shot. It was xfinity, and you can’t get in touch with a person there, but this fixed it. 

Notintothis
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I fixed this by logging into my XFinity account. I don’t download apps from the companies I pay, but I searched around in settings until I found the WiFi settings. I was looking to verify my WiFi password because my son was convinced the issue with the roku was because I had entered the password incorrectly. Thankfully I hadn’t. But I did find the b/g/n option and my 2.4Ghz WiFi has been set to the other option. So, I chose b/g/n option from the drop down, saved the settings and my roku finally worked again. The old days of dvds and tv channels was starting to look nice (and reliably available), though.

0 Kudos
Momo246
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you!  It turns out that I was able to make the proper adjustment to my router through my Xfinity app.  My Roku works like a charm once again.  

0 Kudos
Jeanniem24
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issues. I’ll be in the middle of watching something, suddenly I’ll get the circle of dots in the middle of the screen and it will tell me I’m not connected to the internet. I’ll check the connection on the Roku and it’s fine. Watch a few minutes and it’ll happen again. Connections are fine, it’s not my internet. I’m on 2.4 and my isp has assured me they have not upgraded. I’m ready to get rid of it but I don’t know what to get. Also my Roku seems to freeze a lot and get really hot. Not sure if it’s related or not. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jeanniem24 

Try changing the channel you are using under the 2.4ghz router settings. (access either through router or app).  Chances are it is set to "Auto" and while switching it may be losing connection to your Roku.  Manually assign it to a number between 1 and 11 (try using 1, 6, or 11 initially).  Also usually suggest changing the bandwidth/channel width to 20mhz which usually helps troublesome connections.

Regarding the heat, these devices run very warm so sometimes difficult to say if heat is issue since we really only notice the heat when something goes wrong and we approach the unit.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

TBucs12

Jump to solution

WOW, actually works. Don't get Frustrated. I wasted 30 minutes on the phone w/ XFinity before finding this Forum (not an entire waste, she was a great CSR with a great deal of patience).

Best way to Fix Up this Slim Shadiness is to use your App. Choose See Network link directly underneath your personally named Network. Should then be a More Section, with the Subtitle of Advanced Settings option. Once that is Tapped Up, at the very top is 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi option, Tap that

2.4 GHz. WiFi should be up top, tap Edit (blue for iPhones) in the right corner. Then change your WiFi Mode to anything ending in lowercase b,g,n (mine was 802.11 b,g,n). Did this & Roku Express came right back online within seconds.

So Awful that Roku has Us doing their Customer Service for them. Keep adding more **bleep** channels & losing good ones. Hope this has helped at least one Frustrated Soul.  

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@TBucs12 

Normally by default a router is set to b/g/n.  Many switch it to g/n in order to increase network speed so they are not slowed down by legacy devices ("b" is an older mode protocol).  Some routers actually need to have "b" disabled in order for their Roku devices to work.  In the case of Xfinity/Cox/Comcast, it seems that there is a conflict if "b" is not enabled.  Therefore, if you have an Xfinity/Cox/Comcast supplied router, users will have to verify that their Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n for the Roku to see their network.

This has been the situation for the last month or so since Xfinity started releasing firmware updates to their customer's routers.

Thanks for posting the above instructions for the Community members to reference.  Much appreciated.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102