Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jspr

Roku Express destroying network

I've recently bought a Roku Express for my lounge, and now whenever it's in use the rest of my network is slowed to an absolute crawl.

A few of the things I experience while someone is watching something through the Roku:

- Latency spikes constantly to 500+

- No other devices such as phones or PCs can load a simple web page without waiting for more than 5 seconds

- No other devices can successfully stream anything at all at the same time without 30 seconds of buffering for 1 second of video

The Roku is almost always streaming at perfect quality and never once buffers. Turning it off immediately fixes the situation for the other devices.

I have a 30Mb down/5Mb up internet connection.

1. Why does it have such priority within my network over absolutely everything else, and how can I change this? I do not care about sacrificing quality.

2. My router does not show the Roku using more data than I'd expect, so how can the entire network be slowed so much when streaming? My PS5 uses much more data when watching streams and it causes absolutely no issues.

Thanks in advance for anyone with any knowledge or insight to what's going on!

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express destroying network

@jspr wrote:

... Turning [the Roku] off immediately fixes the situation for the other devices....

Can you explain that? When you say turning the Roku off, what do you mean? Simply stopping a stream and returning go the Home Screen? Or unplugging the Roku? Or something else?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jspr

Sorry, yes I mean by returning to the home screen or unplugging the device.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Is this just a plain-old Express that only does HD?  If so, as you have already determined, bandwidth should be quite modest.  Also, it is 2.4GHz only. (Only Express 4K models have 5GHz Wi-Fi.)  Do you have both bands available?  If you do, I would guess that many of those other devices are already on 5GHz, implying that something might be buggy in the router itself.

DBDukes

@jspr 

So, the Home Screen stops the issue? You don't have to unplug it for the interference to stop? The Roku is still on your network at that time, just not streaming.

Does the interference only happen when actually streaming? If you're navigating the Roku menu system, do other devices work? What about when you check for updates? Does that cause interference with other devices?

This is odd behavior. What's the model number of your device? Settings > System > About

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jspr

Yep no 4K. I do have both 2.4 and 5Ghz available.

Something I hadn't considered, I have a BT Wi-Fi disc (which devices closer to that than the router connect to for better connection) that this Roku is definitely connected to. Could this potentially be causing some weird issue?

I'll try and manually connect the Roku directly to the router instead later on tonight if I get a chance and test that out.

0 Kudos
jspr

Yes, the home screen stops the issue. It's only when streaming anything. Unplugging has the same effect but is not necessary. The instant a stream is chosen it starts the connection problems, and going to the home menu fixes it.

The model number is 3930EU

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@jspr 

You can try configuring your 2.4ghz band to see if you can get more throughput.  Below is the default setup (compare your settings) and then bracketed [try these settings].  See if you notice any difference.  Also try moving your ps5 to the 5ghz if you can to avoid conflicts with the Express 3930.

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled

2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting

3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n or b/g/n (Mixed Mode)    [try g/n mixed mode or n-only mode]

4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz    [try 20/40 , wide 40mhz or Auto]

5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Channels 12 and 13 are disabled through Roku Software, so manually setting a Channel will help mitigate issues caused by Auto Setting.  [try different channels, again stick to 1, 6, 11 before trying others]

-----

There are usually some QoS settings (Quality of Service) within the router settings (normally under Advanced), that will normally allow a router to learn how to distribute bandwidth better among the different connected devices.  Often times pre-configured settings for streaming and video, video gaming, etc, or sometimes just a simple Enable/Disable settings.  You may want to experiment with this setting as well.

-----

Since you know the Express 3930 is on your 2.4ghz, try moving as many devices as possible to the 5ghz band and see if this helps your issue as well. 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

MilesT
Roku Guru

I think channels 12,13 are not allowed to be used in UK. 

Many routers won't allow the bandwidth setting to be changed I.e. 20 to 40)

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos