Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lwt42
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Express, Software 10 upgrade, lost WiFi

Jump to solution

Band steering is disabled.

To clarify my previous post, there are no (zero) range extenders.  The AP is located where it covers the whole house.

The Roku is within a foot of the AP.  It's also within a couple of feet of an Ethernet switch.  I'd prefer wired for this device.

Because I'm using a commercial grade AP, I could add an SSID, leave encryption off and lock it to the MAC address of the ROKU (and isolate that from the rest of the LAN).

Still, it worked before the 10.0 upgrade, doesn't work after.

I can kluge it, but that doesn't help anyone else complaining about broken WiFi after the upgrade.

0 Kudos
lwt42
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

no wickywackywoo.no wickywackywoo.

tons of wickywackywoo on 2.4tons of wickywackywoo on 2.4

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

1) Try manually configuring your AP's 2.4Ghz channel to 1 or 11 (where the neighbor's networks that ARE seen are at) and see if your encrypted SSID shows up.

2) Disable your guest network, and see if your encrypted SSID shows up.

Rolling back your firmware may not be possible, especially if they double-updated yours to 4200 (which may have been for the express purpose of preventing that):

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-roku-4k-hdr-premiere-ultra-owners-thread.2604017/page-788#...

0 Kudos
lwt42
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Seems like y'all are easter-egging.

I'm trying to either solve the problem, or at least report the bug to Roku.

I think I have a work-around, creating a new network, no encryption, and locking it down tight.

Roku Support should be embarrassed, as should the developers for not testing.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Since it now seems apparent that it is impossible that it could be a router issue, a network issue, a Unifi issue, or that you have personally overlooked a setting/configured your Unifi system incorrectly to work with the Roku, only other suggestion I have that may help others who come across this thread would be to try disabling the pings feature of the Roku device. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
lwt42
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

None of this explains why it worked on 9.0, and now can't find the SSID.

Very disappointing.

0 Kudos
bikemike
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Guessing you never found a solution to your issue?  I have the same Unifi AP which was working totally fine at one point.  Even rolled back the AP firmware which made no difference.  Thinking it has to be the Roku firmware at this point.  Here is another thread I am involved with here:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Connection-to-both-Roku-lost-and-wi...

0 Kudos
CyberMage

Jump to solution

I have found significant compatibility problems with the Unifi AP-AC-LR's that you say you're using.  This might be more a Unifi problem than a Roku problem.  My company uses about 600 Unifi AP's and we've banned the use of the AP-AC-LR because of problems like this, along with the Nano.  We only use AP-AC-Pro's and the AP-AC-MESH.

As a note, I came here because my Nano started causing the same problem with my Roku.  The only reason I even have the Nano is because we couldn't use them at work because of this so I brought it home.  For some reason they and the LR's will at times either not see the networks or fail to pass DHCP to clients, but only with SOME clients.  They don't work with any Motorola barcode scanners, for instance.

0 Kudos
bikemike
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I would accept your concern with the the Unifi AP's, but my Roku has been working without issue for at least 1.5 to 2 years now (with the Unifi AP).  The only thing that changed is the firmware on the Roku.  I even rolled back the firmware on my AP to early this year which made no difference.  I am still thinking Roku did something in firmware 10 which bricked some of these devices.  Or, my Roku is simply at the end of its life.  Still not sure I want to buy another after this experience though.

0 Kudos