Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonesal
Reel Rookie

Roku Express Error code 014.40 wireless network not connecting

I just got new box roku express. I go to connect to my wifi when I type in correct password and hit the submit the wireless network box's keep pulling up a red x. So things I've tried 100 times over and over.

1. Reststart device

2. Factory reset

3. Enable pins

4. Unplugged device and waited repluged device back up.

5.unpluged wifi router 

6. Unplugged TV

I am stuck and nothing is working can't connect to another device cause I don't have anything with a Hotspot. This keeps happening on old and new roku express box. 

Please help! Thank you!

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express Error code 014.40 wireless network not connecting

Might your router be one supplied by your internet provider? If so, your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router. This has been reported lately with equipment from Comcast/Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.

Affected users report the router configuration needs to be switched from g/n wifi protocols back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Jonesal
Reel Rookie

Thank you I'll have to see if I can figure that out.

0 Kudos
godzgifd

Try connecting old and new device and see if it finds the wireless signal. I have an old Roku 2 and gotten an express for my other TV, no problems for over a year. I recently updated my Roku 2 to an express version and within 3 weeks it started dropping signal and then both TV could not connect despite my phone and computer having no issues. I did all the recommendation so then resorted to plugging in my old Roku 2 with the express device still attached on a different HDMI port and boom!! All of a sudden all the devices can locate the wireless signal and everyting seems to be working. I am not sure if still haveing my old device affiliated with my Roku account was interferring but I am just gonna leave things as they are. Not seeing if anyone else has tried this but it worked for me. 

0 Kudos
tedperez92

B/g/n option is no longer available (or never was) for me. I'm struggling with this Roku Streambar. I've called Xfinity 3 times and Roku as well. One says it's the other's fault and when I mention b/g/n, they don't know what I'm talking about.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@tedperez92

Thanks for the post.

For further assistance regarding configuring your wireless network, you will want to contact Xfinity as they would best be able to assist you further.

For troubleshooting purposes, are you able to connect to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Pleas keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Robo77

I’m having the same issue. I had two older boxes. So I bought the 4K streaming stick, which says it’s dual band compatible. Because my internet provider said it’d be best instead of the ones who’s just ran on the 2.4.  The new device arrives… once again. The Roku won’t connect to the network. It tells me the connection is excellent. And yet nothing.. 2.4 is on b,g,n. 5 ghz a,n,ac.  I’ve spent 100.00 on brand new devices in the last year and a half. One stopped working & the other two never connect. 
No way to contact Roku… it’s frustrating to see every other device in your home connect except a product you can’t get support for. 

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @Robo77

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

Could you tell us who your internet service provider is? If it's Comcast or ATT, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Robo77

Cox communications is the provider. The 2.4 ghz is already on 802.11 b,g,n already. It always has been and has changed nothing with all three devices. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Robo77 

The first step would be to test the connection ability of the device.  If you have a mobile hotspot available to you, try connecting your devices to it.  If able to connect, then dealing with a network issue.

As a troubleshooting step, try creating an open network. (remove the SSID password from both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands).  Then restart your Router as well as the Roku devices.  Additionally, if using any mobile app control of your network, verify you have not "Paused" any connections.

Also need to consider that some ISPs have disabled the 2.4ghz band from accessing internet.  May need to verify that your 2.4ghz is actually "enabled" and not merely configured correctly.

Below is a default setup for 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks.  Verify these settings in your router. 

Default Settings for routers should also be considered when troubleshooting. Try using these recommended/default setting and then tweak as necessary.

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n or b/g/n(Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Channels 12 and 13 are disabled through Roku Software, so manually setting a Channel will help mitigate issues caused by Auto Setting.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos